What's up with Harrison ?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What's up with Harrison ??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CC » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:26 pm

East Bay Ray wrote:I think is contract is going to expire soom too. I think the Colts are looking to see if Wayne and the other WRs can step up. So far they have.

Yea I was thinking about this as well. It's possible with the rejuvenated Edge and the struggling Marvin that they might go against what everyone expected and give Edge the big dollars leaving Marvin out to dry. Then if they felt WR was a big need, after Mike Williams and possibly Braylon the next tier of WRs (Chris Henry, Mark Clayton, healthy Martin Nance etc.) is pretty deep.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shader » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:32 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
East Bay Ray wrote:I think is contract is going to expire soom too. I think the Colts are looking to see if Wayne and the other WRs can step up. So far they have.

Yea I was thinking about this as well. It's possible with the rejuvenated Edge and the struggling Marvin that they might go against what everyone expected and give Edge the big dollars leaving Marvin out to dry. Then if they felt WR was a big need, after Mike Williams and possibly Braylon the next tier of WRs (Chris Henry, Mark Clayton, healthy Martin Nance etc.) is pretty deep.

While they might be seeing what the other wr's have, they need Harrison to have a great year if they are letting him go. If he has a great year, the Colts will get a better compensatory pick in next year's draft. And the important thing is winning. Peyton makes such quick decisions, that he's not thinking about passing on harrison and throwing to Wayne, for those aforementioned reasons.

Also, the Colts are dumb if they re-sign an aging Edgerrin. He doesn't have many years left.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CAL_BEAR » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:11 pm

FWIW:

News: According to the Indy Star, Colts owner Irsay said the team has every intention of re-signing Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James. Both players will be unrestricted free agents at the end of the season. "I look at both of those guys being here (in 2005)," Irsay said. "I told you on Peyton that he wasn't going anywhere, and he didn't. It's just a question of timing. Both guys are going to get done."

"I Like To Believe That My Best Hits Border On Felonious Assault"
-Jack "The Assassin" Tatum
CAL_BEAR
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby rohbshop » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:20 pm

I said this in a similar thread but there just arent enough yds, td's, and passes to go around. The way the other receivers are stepping up, the way Peyton likes to spread it around more with it working, i dont see Harrison having the type of years hes had where he was the main and only target. I'm sure he'll blow up here and there, but i dont think hes going to be like previous years, especially with Wayne turning into a star himself. Stokely isnt a fluke. D. Clark/Pollard are going to get their passes too. Not to mention James taking away from all of them.
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Azrael » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:47 pm

It appears to me that Wayne is transitioning into the No. 1 and Harrison dropping back as the No. 2 sort of like the recent Bruce/Holt era. This year with Bruce and Holt I can't explain though so far other than Holt must be getting swamped, leaving Bruce open.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby MadScott » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:13 am

Shader wrote:Also, the Colts are dumb if they re-sign an aging Edgerrin. He doesn't have many years left.
I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I certainly wouldn't call 26 "aging", not even by RB standards. He's a very nice fit for that offense in all aspects. If they could keep that corps together for at least another 3 years, they should continue to have an excellent shot at reaching the big show.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:29 am

financially, wont it be almost impossible to resign both Edge and Marv after Mannings huge contract? One of those 3 is going to have to take a paycut.

As for Edge - he's relatively young still.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby killiansjmd » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:34 am

Edge is a young 26 also considering he missed that year with the knee injury and has one year less punishment on his body.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby arrbez » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:57 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:financially, wont it be almost impossible to resign both Edge and Marv after Mannings huge contract? One of those 3 is going to have to take a paycut.

As for Edge - he's relatively young still.

think marvin might be gone after this year then? logically, i would think they have more of a need for edge than marvin because of the emergence of wayne and stokely (as well as 2 good TE's). but he's such an institution there with manning, it's hard to see him ever leaving...
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:01 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:financially, wont it be almost impossible to resign both Edge and Marv after Mannings huge contract? One of those 3 is going to have to take a paycut.

No, it's not impossible because they will Franchise tag one of them and sign the other. But if they go this route you have to wonder how pathetic the supporting cast will be. They won't be able to afford much else.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk