The Denver Running Back Mess - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Denver Running Back Mess

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Denver Running Back Mess

Postby The_Dude » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:58 pm

So, I waste 2 roster spots on Bell and Griffin and now Ruben Droughns is running over Carolina... what do I do now? The bench is running out of room and if I don't act fast, someone is gonna snatch Droughns...

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:59 pm

Drop Bell for Droughns. :-°
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby superstar » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:36 pm

Does anyone know what the situation IS with Denver?

Is Droughns just around for one game... or more?
superstar
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ConTender » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:38 pm

He is making his case for the perma starter.
ConTender
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:52 pm

Shanahan was high on Dro last week....imagine how he feels now. this would be huge for me if Dro is the starter from here on out ;-D
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jn1520 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:57 pm

I wouldn't count on Droughns just yet. Denver's RB situation is a mess, and I wouldn't be surprised if Q is back next week.

As a Q owner, I'm nervous, but I'm not about to give up just yet, particularly given Shanahan's unpredictable behavior.
jn1520
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Siggyfawn » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:11 am

Anyone who had Bell didn't do their homework. Droughns was emerging as the #2 back as far back as 3 weeks ago. All the major reports said Dro was going to start over Bell.

But as has been mention, Q Tip ran for about the same week 1. I'd imagine we'll see some split duty, and he will play the hot hand. But watching the games, Dro hit the hole ALOT harder. Unless he has a horrible first half next week, it's probably his job to lose.

Also if you look at Portis trying to run with the Skins, it's obvious denvers RBs enjoy a great blocking scheme. I have no doubt Q Tip would have probably put up similiar numbers, so it's hard to know will actually start next week.
Siggyfawn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby cbrowns » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:11 am

You guys are all crazy. Garrison Hearst is gonna eat these guys for lunch, as soon as his hemorrhoids die down. Seriously, if I had to bet, I think we are in a RBBC sitch for a couple of weeks, and then either Qtin or Droughns will be the guy. Think about it, Shanahan has only started these 2 guys. Hearst and Bell are NOT in his plans, at least for now. If you have bell (like I do), try to drop him for droughns and that will be playing the odds. Good luck all you denver RB owners, it's a bi#$h.
"60% of the time, it works all the time!"
cbrowns
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:58 am

ConTender wrote:He is making his case for the perma starter.

Droughns is the best thing that could've happened for Quentin Griffin owners right now. Assuming RD is a capable player, they now have a credible fullback for their 2 back sets that they run their offense out of. It will only take a few good runs by Droughns on misdirection plays before the defense softens up on Q-Tip. Even better for Q-Tip is short yardage conversions which they were abysmal at. Every time the chains move is another opportunity for the tailback.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rohbshop » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:20 pm

I think its going to be alot like how the Giants were trying to use Tiki with Dayne, except Droughans will be in on most plays as a FB, and will occasionally get the short-yardage run or the changeup carry, along with alot of swing out passes. I still think Quentin will be the man, but Droughans will take away a few more carries. If anything i think Droughans takes more value away from Bell and Hearst, since i think his workload will increase with the very few extra carries they might have gotten. Basically i look at it like thunder and lightning, except Droughans will be asked to do alot more 'other stuff' than Dayne, which is why they wont make hiim the featured back.
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk