This year's FFball makes no sense - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

This year's FFball makes no sense

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Philly22 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:02 am

Can I quickly say I my team is evidence of Mercer Boy's theory! Never played the game before let alone paid much attention to the sport but after a good baseball season with some people just gave FF a shot. So in a 16 team league I had Culpepper with my 1st pick and Barber with my 2nd... :-D
Philly22 Beginner
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:49 am

mad benjamin wrote:The theory had always been that you don't need a stud QB to win it all and that may be true, but this year where so many 1st and 2nd rounders are underachieving, having one of the big 3 is only going to help you.

You are correct! The theory "normally" is correct due to draft scarcity. Top RB's are going to outscore middle-of-the-road RB's by a ton, while top QB's aren't usually that far away from the 9th or 10th QB.
This year, however, the top 3 QB's are skewing the averages and making the jump from 1-3 to 7-9 a huge, huge margin...much like the jump from 1-3 RB to 7-9 RB! When this happens, it would be more wise to draft QB's early. How could you know this in advance, though?

Since this is not a usual occurrence, I would still not advise a person draft a QB before the end of the 2nd round.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:30 am

You have to consider the impact that the new interference enforcement is having on things... WR's and QB's definitely got a huge boost, and teams are more willing to take more shots down field to semi-covered receivers in hopes of getting interference calls, I think....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby irishboy » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:47 am

what sucks for me is that the guy i played this week got 48 pts from culpepper; rest of his team got 43

im down 62 to 93 but i still have green and mason tonight; 10 yards rushing and receiving per point
IRISH PRIDE (WHAT'S WRONG WITH ALL CAPS)
irishboy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BurnerD » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:13 am

I am a firm believer in RB's are gold, but I was in a situation in my money league where I was stuck picking 10th out of 10.

I decided that Manning and Moss where good picks on the turn and was fortunate enough to get Chris Brown in the 4th rd (took S.Smith in Rd3 ... don't ask) and then Quentin Griffin later in the draft. I've been able to cover for Griffin's crappy play with Warrick Dunn though.

So far my draft strategy has paid off big at 4-1, but as has been mentioned in previous posts I'm not convinved Manning can keep it up all year. The enforcement of no contact on the receivers, and the depth of the Colts receiving corps makes me think he may have a majority of good games vs bad. Edge being healthy also makes it easier on the Colts passing game.

In 6th other leagues I had pick 8 or better and took RB's in every single one so this has been an interesting experience so far :)

My reason for taking Smith in Rd 3 is that we also get return yardage points and I though he was gonna have a big year anyway.. + I didn't think there was a big dropoff in waiting 1 more round for a RB over what was available.

10 team $ League (4-1)
Scoring: completions = 0.5 pt, receptions = 1 pt, return yards 25= 1pt, otherwise pretty standard

QB: MANNING, Roethlisberger
WR: MOSS, R. SMITH, GIVENS, Price, Glenn
RB: BROWN, DUNN, Griffin, Droughns, M. Moore
TE: Graham
K: Feely
Def: Baltimore
Reporter: "There's no I in team"

Leon: "Yeah, well there aint no we either"

TRUE
BurnerD
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby oscar15 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:55 am

Great Thread!

I'm a 12 year vet who NEVER takes a QB early. This year I took T. Green in the 6th Round. (10 team league 11 rounds). LT was my first pick. With the 20 and 21 pick of the draft I broke from my own tradition of taking stud RB and took the best available WR (D. Jackson and S. Moss). The past several years weak WR play had kept me form winning the Championship (3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 4th, 2nd). This year I'm getting killed at QB AND WR and I'm currently fighting to stay out of the Toilet Bowl!

Bumping the elite QB up on your draft list for next year is probably a good idea. More and more teams are going to a RBBC. And, "speading the ball around" in the passing game seems to be the current trend. Nobody uses a QBBC and the last time I checked he still is the guy "throwing" all the TD passes. (E. Smith leading the Cards in TD passes until week 5 does not count)

One last thing. The new rules that protect the QB's makes them less likely to get hurt. As was noted earlier in this thread the RB have been dropping like flies. Which means more suprises are going to pop up on the waiver wire at the RB postion then the QB position.

I still think RB is the way to go. But if Manning, McNabb, or Culpepper are on the board late in the first round or early 2nd, I would definitly draft them. In the past, I would NEVER consider a QB that early.
oscar15
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Response Team
(Past Year: 35)

Postby ODOGG » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:46 am

to the fantasy vets out there,,,will Culpepper keeps this pace up,,,if so he will be the best fantasy QB ever,,even better then Kurt Warner in 1999,,,so much for RB's i have edge and alexander and i am gettin killed by the guy who has culpepper and T.O,.,.it doesnt help when u have Vick as ur Qb though,,,David Carr and Deuce Mcallister,,bring me to a respectable score at least next week please! next year Culpepper will be my first pick!
ODOGG
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mad benjamin » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:18 am

I don't think CPep will do this all year; that'd be insane. But would it be out of the question to think he might have 25 completions, 250+ yds, 2 TDs and 30-40 ryds. a game the rest of the way? Easily, and he will probably have more games that exceed that amount than he will have games worse than that.

The whole thing makes me wonder if the RB position isn't a little overrated and this year might actually be exposing that a bit. The thing in our league is that RBs get points for yds/rushing AND receptions +yds, so they are at least a double threat. Moreover, we can start 3 RBs (and often opt to as they typically score more than WRs). I agree that some of the new rules have helped out the passing game, while excessive injuries have hurt the running game. Ricky's sudden departure has also take one more stud running back out of the pool and we approached draft day with some reaches (Rudi, Barlow, CBrown, TJones, etc.) where some have panned out and some flopped.

I don't know exactly how I will approach the draft next season. A lot depends upon how the rest of the year plays out, but I may take the QB situation a little more seriously next time.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Pack Fan in HTown » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:47 am

I'm in 4 leagues this year. In 2 I went RB first 2 rounds, In the other 2 I went Manning/RB. Landed Cmart in one of those 2. Results
RB Leagues : 3-5 (about to be 3-7)
QB Leagues : 6-1 (about to 7-2)
I read somewhere on NFL.com before the season that taking a QB in the first 2 rounds will become the new fab as RB's don't always carry you to the championship. I decided to give it a shot, and I'm now reaping the benefits of that decision. WR's always kill me and nothing has changed this year, but riding my QB's to the championship looks more like a possibility this year! I'll probably be taking one of the top 3 QBs from now on in round 1 or 2. I just can't argue with this post, QB's are going to be the wave of the future drafts.
Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?
Samual Jackson as Jules: Pulp Fiction

Pack Fan in HTown
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)

Postby BigMusky » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:34 pm

McNabb is who is killing people right now. Most those people got him in a later round and still have the stud running backs. The teams with Manning and Culpepper do not scare me in any league, they just have really weak teams around them. If my qb stays within 15 points of them, I will win every time.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk