This year's FFball makes no sense - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

This year's FFball makes no sense

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby stugots » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:57 pm

Great Thread. Out of those running backs listed in the initial post, I sure hope it's Stephen Davis that turns it around and proves to be a stud RB. Realistic?
stugots
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby gatorman1122 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:02 pm

Funny thing happened in my league. The only guy left that is undefeated (no. 1) is some FF rookie who picked manning and moss in the 1st 2 rds. He picked up Dunn in the 7th rd who is tearing it up this season.
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mad benjamin » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:43 pm

stugots wrote:Great Thread. Out of those running backs listed in the initial post, I sure hope it's Stephen Davis that turns it around and proves to be a stud RB. Realistic?

I doubt it, but at least it doesn't look like he'll have Foster peeking over his shoulder for a while.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GB Packer Fan 2004 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:44 pm

I had 6th overall pick. I got Alexander in round 1. I took another back in round 2 and drafted my QB in round 6. (FAvre)

I could have had C-pepp in round 2 and my team would have been better. I was a believer that RBs are gold and that QBs can be takin later.

I am about to go 1-4 :-t My team isnt that bad, i have had awful luck. Coming into this week I had the 3rd most points, but the worst record.

Had I taken C-Pepp. what a difference that would have made :-/
GB Packer Fan 2004
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby murf74 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:12 pm

First off, lets just bring up the point that the fantasy season can go just the opposite way the rest of the 12 weeks of the season. It is pretty hard to finalize your draft after only 5 weeks.

NFL stats have a habit of evening out in the end. Guys that start slow finish strong and vice versa.

I think RBs will again become more valuable as the season goes on because they will again show to be the most consistent.

I think everyone's draft strategy was flawed because we put too much value on unproven RBs like Rudi Johnson, Kevan Barlow, Dom. Davis, Brian Westbrook, etc and passed up on proven talent like Moss, Culpepper, Manning. And those who got Culp and Manning still ended up with a Chris Brown, T. Jones, W. Dunn or C. Martin as their #2 back when in reality they are putting #s up like #1 RBs.

Less importance needs to be put on getting 2 solid RBs in the first round. I am a believer in best available. I would rather have Moss as my #2 pick over Westbrook or Rudi any day. But a lot of us bought into the stud RB theory and pushed Westbrook and Rudi up to studs based on a few good weeks of last season.

Another thing we do is rely too much on last years performance and really do too little at truely projecting into the new season. I mean most of our cheat sheets were basically how the players finished last year and pushing a few guys that didn't play a full 17 games (like Dom. Davis) up the cheat sheet.
murf74
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby oscar15 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:51 am

murf74 wrote:First off, lets just bring up the point that the fantasy season can go just the opposite way the rest of the 12 weeks of the season. It is pretty hard to finalize your draft after only 5 weeks.

NFL stats have a habit of evening out in the end. Guys that start slow finish strong and vice versa.

I think RBs will again become more valuable as the season goes on because they will again show to be the most consistent.

I think everyone's draft strategy was flawed because we put too much value on unproven RBs like Rudi Johnson, Kevan Barlow, Dom. Davis, Brian Westbrook, etc and passed up on proven talent like Moss, Culpepper, Manning. And those who got Culp and Manning still ended up with a Chris Brown, T. Jones, W. Dunn or C. Martin as their #2 back when in reality they are putting #s up like #1 RBs.

Less importance needs to be put on getting 2 solid RBs in the first round. I am a believer in best available. I would rather have Moss as my #2 pick over Westbrook or Rudi any day. But a lot of us bought into the stud RB theory and pushed Westbrook and Rudi up to studs based on a few good weeks of last season.

Another thing we do is rely too much on last years performance and really do too little at truely projecting into the new season. I mean most of our cheat sheets were basically how the players finished last year and pushing a few guys that didn't play a full 17 games (like Dom. Davis) up the cheat sheet.

My league cleans the slate and start over in week 9.

I have found that Fantasy Football is a fantastic hobby as long as your team is in contention. If it is not, it's like playing a round really bad golf.....FOR SEVERAL WEEKS! :-o
oscar15
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Response Team
(Past Year: 35)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:11 pm

BurnerD wrote:I am a firm believer in RB's are gold, but I was in a situation in my money league where I was stuck picking 10th out of 10.

I decided that Manning and Moss where good picks on the turn and was fortunate enough to get Chris Brown in the 4th rd (took S.Smith in Rd3 ... don't ask) and then Quentin Griffin later in the draft.

Dang, Burner, if you hadn't put 'Cleveland' in your location I'd have thought you were the guy kicking my league's collective assets. He did the CPep/Moss combo in the No. 10/11 spot, then 'settled' for CBrown and Staley in rounds 3/4.

...Oh, and plucked Barber in the 6th.

And I was so pleased with getting McAllister and JLewis with my first two picks :-/.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby drillers » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:27 pm

Can you believe someone in my league is 5-0 with Hearst and L. Henry at RB?

Manning, Owens, Graham and Baltimore are enough to get him wins every week.

He wasnt at the draft so the computer did the job. I was laughing at his team during the draft, but i'm now 1-4 with Priest and C. Brown, because of f***ing Mickael Vick.
drillers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby detroit_to_denver » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:11 pm

This has definetly been a year where when i sat down and looked at teams after the draft the ones that looked like doggie doo doo are number one and two. Why is this? Well these guys are getting 30 to 40 from their QBs and then the rest of the team just has to bearly pitch in and they win. Also alot of these late round RBs were supposed to be complete busts this year. Remeber how good Dayne was running in the preseason. Everyone said he would take over for Barber. Same thing with Duckett and Dunn. Now these guys are blowing up.

Also if you look at it the only top RBs that are producing like they were projected to are Holmes, Tomlinson and Alexander. Green is busting. McCallister is hurt. Edge is producing but many doubted him this year. So you have T Jones, Barber, Brown, Dunn outperforming these high profile guys.

Shows you can't predict everything but makes me mad. Why did I pick Barlow and not one of the overacheivers mentioned above. :~(
detroit_to_denver
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Navyseal » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:42 pm

Sorry everyone, but these complaints and theories are exactly why we all spend countless hours a week researching, reshuffling, and debating, trying to find that "key" to winning every week.
I for one got off to a slow start and began getting pessimistic about my chances this year... but one big performance by Rudi two weeks ago, a key pick-up of Mewelde Moore this week, and a healthy Deuce has gotten me to 3-2 and on top of my division once again.
If you have studs that are playing like "duds" just be a little more patient and keep working the WW...
This has been a peculiar year so far, admittedly...

12 team, H2H, hyper-performance, keeper (5)
Start 9: QB, 1/2RB, 2/3/4WR, 1/2TE, K, D/ST --

Warner*, Delhomme
Deuce*, Rudi J.*, Moe Will, Pittman, Bell, Moore
CJ*, Plaxico*, Wayne*, Curry, Colbert
Gates*
Akers, Elam*
NE D/ST*
Navyseal
General Manager
General Manager

Previous