Bennett's foot

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bennett's foot

Postby nebula » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:24 am

Posted on Thu, Jul. 10, 2003

Vikings' Bennett could miss season
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

After a setback to his surgically repaired left foot, Michael Bennett must make a decision that could cost him the entire 2003 season.

The Vikings' starting running back could choose a procedure that could get him back on the field late in the preseason, or a safer procedure that essentially would sideline him out for the season.

"It's ultimately Mike's decision," Vikings head coach Mike Tice said Wednesday night. "He has to decide which route he needs to go. If all goes well, he could be there for second or third preseason game. But in speaking with Mike at length, the advice I gave him was to sleep on it."

Sources close to the situation said a screw inserted into Bennett's foot during spring surgery has broken. He injured the foot in March when he came down on it awkwardly while running on a treadmill at the team's headquarters in Eden Prairie. He had surgery a few weeks later.

Now he's headed for more surgery. One option is the one Tennessee Titans defensive end Jevon Kearse took in February.

Kearse broke a bone in his left foot on the second snap of the 2002 season opener. He had a screw inserted into the foot and returned for the final three games of the season but was ineffective. He later underwent a bone graft procedure involved removing the screw, transferring bone from Kearse's hip and inserting it into the break with another screw. He returned to practice in June and expects to be ready for the start of training camp.

The Vikings believed Bennett's rehabilitation was going well as late as last week. He had a CT scan that showed he was progressing well, but he complained of soreness this week.

The Vikings led the NFL in rushing last season with 2,507 yards. Bennett was the team's top rusher, running for 1,296 yards and five touchdowns on 255 carries, a 5.1-yard average. The second-leading rusher was quarterback Daunte Culppper with 609 yards, followed by running back Moe Williams with 414 yards and 11 touchdowns on 84 attempts.

Tice said the team can't sulk over Bennett's injury.

"We had a setback and we have to deal with it," he said. "It's a part of the business we're in."

Other available running backs are Doug Chapman, a former third-round pick, and rookie Onterrio Smith, a fourth-round pick the team believes possesses first-round talent. In addition, the team is intrigued by Larry Ned, the second all-time leading rusher at San Diego State behind Marshall Faulk. Ned was signed to the team's practice squad last December.
nebula
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:44 am

Nice read, thanks ;-D

The more I read about this the more I think he wont be playing this year.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby kashikis » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:51 am

hehehe i was right :-b
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk