Several al Qaeda suspects "disappear" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Several al Qaeda suspects "disappear"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ForeverBlue » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:09 pm

2 wrongs may make it so that a 3rd greater wrong in not in our future. 2 wrongs just may save your life.
ForeverBlue
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Count_Rugen » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:58 pm

ForeverBlue wrote:2 wrongs may make it so that a 3rd greater wrong in not in our future. 2 wrongs just may save your life.

Don't even start thinking that way. That's the slippery slope to destruction, my friend.

What if the "two wrongs" don't stop another attack? What then? That's right, then we'll up the ante to "three wrongs" and "four wrongs" and so on. Torture, indefinite detentions, and the "vanishing" of people in US custody won't make us safer. Having morals and values isn't just good sense in day to day living, it's good sense for government too.

BTW, yes, there are at least two American citizens being held indefinitely without access to lawyers, or anyone else for that matter, this, in total blatant disregard for the Constitution. I can't believe Bush even tries to make excuses to explain that practice.

It's been shown time after time that in politics what begins in fear, always ends in folly. Give the government an inch now, and it'll be a mile tomorrow.
Count_Rugen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ForeverBlue » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:21 pm

So I guess we found the resident Dim on this side of the Cafe.
I see you lean towards the candy and ice cream solution.

You really like to rely on that slippery slope reasoning.

First it's "foreign terrorists" who get tortured, then who's next? That's right. Do the math. Human rights are HUMAN rights. Once you start compromising those rights on some humans, it's only a matter of time before they start being compromised on all humans.

Give the government an inch now, and it'll be a mile tomorrow

I'll keep that in mind for future reference.

Well, how about if we go easy on terrorists then future terrorists will have nothing to worry about.

These people already have a deep hatred of us. That's why they attacked us in the first place. They can not be reasoned with. You would think that after we helped stop the genocide of Muslims in Bosnia that they would have seen us in a different light. They never will.

No Mercy for the evil.
ForeverBlue
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Count_Rugen » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:55 pm

Who is evil?

Those being held in communicado? Those who disappear? Those who are tortured? They're not guilty of collaborating in the 9/11 attacks, they're not even in Al Quaeda (most, and since there hasn't been any hearings on them, I'd say it's safe to say innocent until proven guilty). So why are they being held?

On the potential that they *might* commit an act of terrorism?

Who decides who gets access to a lawyer?

Who decides who gets their time in court to protest their innocence?

Who decides who's a terrorist?

Who decides who is "evil?"

You seem to be advocating the position that one group, the military, and one person, the Commander-in-Chief has that direct authority. You seem to be flying in the face of everything this country stands for.

This is why we have written laws. This is why we have the Constitution. Because man is fallable. I don't trust Bush as far as I can throw him. Nor would I give any person the kind of power to decide "guilt" or "innocence" on a whim, which you seem to be espousing.

Once again, if you want to live in a land that practices the kind of policies you espouse, MOVE TO CHINA.

You'll be back.
Count_Rugen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ForeverBlue » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:20 pm

So you would feel better if these people were let back out on the streets. If that happened I'd bet your liberal ass would be the first one complaining 'how can that happen".

I'd rather let the CIA decide who is a terrorist (they know the inside scoop) instead of some liberal trial lawyer/ snakeoil salesman trying to spring them on some loop hole. Then some liberal judge agreeing with him. Yes, this sounds anti-American, but these people being held are Anti-American in nature.

You may not trust Bush, but many of us do and stand behind what he does.
ForeverBlue
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to General Talk