Ethics question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ethics question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ethics question

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:45 am

i got an e-mail by one guy in my league asking me to trade with him for one week only. he has only two RBs, tiki and faulk. tiki has a bye next week, so that leaves him with faulk only at RB. there are no other RBs available in the WW, well, not anyone who is expected to get more than 3 carries a game. i have alexander, dom davis, m moore and pittman and i can't start all of them, so he proposed to send me tony gonzalez and maybe a WR for a RB, just for week 6.

so, my question is should i even look into trading with this guy, or is this unethical? of course i would look for something which can benefit my team. i see no point on just helping the guy out and my team ends up losing the week.
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Pick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FF Newbie » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:37 am

In fantasy, you cannot trade players with the intention of trading them back after a bye week or later on in the season. He probably isn't trying to cheat, just doesn't understand the rules. If you have a second, please take a look at mine: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=94955
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:47 am

Its not cheating... at least it is not listed in the rules. At least not my league. It is just highly unethical, and the call whether or not to allow the trade rests solely with popular vote or the Commisioner veto.

So no, don't do it.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mad benjamin » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:40 am

In my first year in the league, I traded a QB for another guy's bye week QB, then switched them back the following week and caught some flack for it. I didn't understand the rules or the ethics of the game, but I do now. Don't do it!

Ask yourself this: if it were above-board, would the guy be trying to contact you privately via e-mail to get the deal done?
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:49 am

Once you get Gonzo from him dont give him back. Ha, that would be a lesson.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby chinch sacs » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:54 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:Once you get Gonzo from him dont give him back. Ha, that would be a lesson.

Yeah, be like "Moore is going to have a HUGE game" and he'll have a back that will be in a RBBC for the rest of the season
Fantasy sports are dominated by the 50-50-90 rule.
any time you have a 50/50 choice on something,
90% of the time you'll get it wrong.
chinch sacs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Arlo » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:59 am

Apart from the question of ethics, this kind of agreement opens up all sorts of cans of worms. Apart from the question of what happens if one side doesn't return a player as agreed, what's to prevent a team from shipping all its stars to another one year in exchange for that team's studs the next, essentially giving each a title? The logic isn't much different from the single-game trade, particularly in a keeper league.

Anyway, good call on holding off on this. For the benefit of the entire league, trades like this aren't a good idea.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:45 am

While rules may not specifically call for that type of action as being illegal, I would say that it is definitely unethical. If I was the commish, I wouldnt let either the trade-back go through or not let the first one go if I had knowledge that the deal was to trade back in a week.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bowie » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:46 am

I know if I saw a trade back, I would veto it in a second. If you are willing to set aside ethics and do this, just understand that you may be stuck with the players you trade for.

And yes, this is unethical (and punishable by any reasonably alert commish).
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby strats36 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:10 am

Main Entry: col·lu·sion
Pronunciation: k&-'lü-zh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin collusion-, collusio, from colludere
: secret agreement or cooperation especially for an illegal or deceitful purpose

I'm pretty sure collusion is illegal in most leagues.
strats36
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk