fantasy sites - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

fantasy sites

Moderator: Football Moderators

fantasy sites

Postby Bros Broncos » Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:37 pm

What is the best fantasy info site under $20.00 ?
What is the best free fantasy site? ;-D
Bros Broncos

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

This is the Best Site

Postby DraftDodger » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:01 pm

This is the best free fantasy football site and arguably pretty high up there compared to pay sites. The reason for this is the (usually) intelligent discussion which occurs in response to questions about which player to start, how to rate positions for the draft, etc.

On pay sites, you generally have one or two people selling you a "My Way or the Highway" guide to fantasy football strategy. What one "professional" thinks about one particular player may be valid, but what he or she thinks about twenty different players may be absurdly off base. Also, on pay sites, you rarely see anyone caution you that their advice is based on the scoring system, something you see in response to nearly every player question on the Cafe. A receiver, for example, may be rated high in a league that rewards receptions and low in one that doesn't.

For specific or "inside" information, the best place to look is probably the netnews categories for the various teams. There you have long-time fans of the sport who attend practices and often report more timely and insightful information than you'd get from a pay site.
Keep in mind that pay sites can appear to be much more professionally run than they are. Design a fancy website, hire a couple of writers, get someone to snap some decent player photos, and you can look as legit as ESPN or one of the fantasy sites.

Paying for information doesn't make it intrinsically more valuable; paying for advice doesn't make it more sound. I can give great advice on investing in the stock market (for example: sink every dime you can spare into Progessive Insurance; if you doubt me, look at what their stock has done over the last decade and how aggressively they pursue market share and manipulate their stock prices). You probably won't take my advice though ... I'm not charging you $200 an hour for it.

I suspect that the Cafe will evolve into a pay site --- the majority of good websites end up becoming pay sites just to cover the bills. Enjoy a good thing (free access) while it lasts!
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Re: This is the Best Site

Postby terpfan » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:09 pm

DraftDodger wrote:I suspect that the Cafe will evolve into a pay site --- the majority of good websites end up becoming pay sites just to cover the bills. Enjoy a good thing (free access) while it lasts!

never! :-)

best free site no question... i wouldnt no from pay sites, after the cafe i stopped lookin! ;-D
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:03 pm

I agree with DD. (Nicely written DD)
The cafe is a fantastic free resource and as far as im concerned its as good as any paid for resource, though in its own unique way.

I used to trawl the net for different forums regarding FFL's but like Terp said, once I found the Cafe most of my needs were taken care of.

Sure you dont get in depth stats here but you get lots and lots of up the the minute info and advice from a wide spectrum of people. If you look for advice in other places you will typically get a generic response and its unlikely one so called expert will publicly disagree with one of his peers, whereas at the cafe you get open and often differing views from a wide range of people which in my mind gives you far more information to work with when making a decision.

Ive not met a friendlier bunch of people on the net.

Finally, the Cafe is free and I know of no plans to change that, quite the opposite in fact, its been said we will never charge.
I do however have experience of free sites HAVING to charge minor fee's in the end in order to pay for bandwidth and to survive, so being the realist I am, I wouldnt be surprised if one day in the future a bill arrived at my house from the powers that be here at the Cafe.
:-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Fantasy sites

Postby Bros Broncos » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:03 pm

Thanks for the advice. Anyone disagree with DraftDodger?
What about Sportingnews? I used them in the past, now they charge.
GREED IS OUT OF CONTROL! Thank goodness this site is free for now. ;-D
Bros Broncos

Postby Homeless » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:09 pm

I was about to mention TSN and the fact they just added a bunch or extra charges to their site. I dont think its greed in most cases, just lack of advertising, which keeps most of these sites available for free. TSN has a full time staff to pay too.

I try my best to purchase items I want from links at sites I attend across the web. if we all did that then the web might remain largely free for years to come.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby menyak » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:14 am

Homeless wrote:I wouldnt be surprised if one day in the future a bill arrived at my house from the powers that be here at the Cafe.
:-)

Sure - just gimme that address... :-D

Seriously though, we've got it all under control (including our greed). Our staff is tiny, the website isn't the only thing we do (although it sometimes seems like it ;-) ) and we're also pretty good at some of the stuff behind the scenes (like getting cheap bandwidth). Btw. if you ask me, the biggest asset of the Cafe are the awesome folks in here. That's why the Cafe will never close down or charge money - even if we don't earn a fortune, we can always go and earn the rest somewhere else, because if need be, the Cafe can basically run on its own. ;-D

Homeless wrote:I try my best to purchase items I want from links at sites I attend across the web. if we all did that then the web might remain largely free for years to come.

So you have been buying all those jerseys from our affiliate store. I really started wondering... :-b
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:34 am

if you think it might not be free sometime heres is something we did at another website i go to. first you get ads on the site and then to get money you just have to have people click the ad. everyone would do their clicking (and closing that dang pop-up) :-t before doing anything else. Im no website expert but they said that worked at another site i was at that was threated by money issues. Hope this helps if the cafe is possibly losing its "freeness".
GO CAFE ;-D

Postby menyak » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:46 am

Ok, ok, please don't intentionally click on those ads unless they interest you anyway. I really greatly appreciate the good intentions, but an unrealistic number of clicks might actually get us into trouble rather than being helpful. :-)

Anyway, back to Bill's question - any other free sites that are recommendable?
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Pay sites....

Postby massraider » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:51 am

I find it hard to believe any pay site is going to have info everyone else doesn't have.

kffl.com
ffbookmarks.com
footballinjuries.com

And during the season, you are really looking for specific players info, you need to be looking at teams sports pages.

The best info comes from fans IN THAT TOWN, which is why I check the forums at various places. I lived in Boston till about a year ago, and I knew as much about the Pats team as my team.
massraider
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk