You heard it here first, Hearst will (eventually) be the man - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

You heard it here first, Hearst will (eventually) be the man

Moderator: Football Moderators

You heard it here first, Hearst will (eventually) be the man

Postby iloveny18 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:59 pm

in all the denver q-tip is shannahan's fav, droughns had a monster week, bell is in the doghouse talk what gets overlooked is garrison hearst. the guy did pretty good in san fran, what makes you guys think he can't emerge in denver? they signed the guy for a reason even though they already had 3-4 other backs. so far garrison's the only proven guy on the denver roster. what do you guys think?
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:17 pm

I think the Broncos signed Hearst as RB insurance. He should have a sign on him saying "break glass" in case of emergency. The emergency planned for was Q-Tip not being able to be a feature back and Bell not adjusting to the NFL. With the jury still out on Q-Tip, the emergence of Droughnuts, and Bell waiting in the wings, Hearst has very little value.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby iloveny18 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:20 pm

Vlad the Impaler wrote:The emergency planned for was Q-Tip not being able to be a feature back and Bell not adjusting to the NFL.

isnt' that what's happening now? griffin is hurt and only had one huge game. bell's getting no love, and droughns is just a FB who had one huge game. hearst actually has some talent, so why not?
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:35 pm

No one in the Bronco's brass wants to pin their playoff hopes on an old injury prone back. Denver signed Hearst as a last resort in case everything goes wrong and they need a serviceable back. Everything has not gone wrong yet with the three other backs, and until it does, Hearst has little value. Thats my opinion. If you disagree with it, go ahead and grab Hearst off the waiver wire and give him a start this week. I wish you luck.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby EthnicFury » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:36 pm

but why? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Droughns doesn't yet appear to be broke

only reasoning I could see would be so you could get them both on the field in the I or run out of the pro set, but using droughns as a traditional blocking fullback would clearly be a waste.
If somebody hits you with an object you should beat the hell out of them.-Charles Barkley
EthnicFury
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafeholic

Postby iloveny18 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:48 pm

EthnicFury wrote:but why? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Droughns doesn't yet appear to be broke

only reasoning I could see would be so you could get them both on the field in the I or run out of the pro set, but using droughns as a traditional blocking fullback would clearly be a waste.

isn't there a reason why droughns never got any carries before?
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:52 pm

EthnicFury wrote:but why? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Droughns doesn't yet appear to be broke

Since Shanny came in, Denver has had numerous, numerous guys get to 1000 yards. Some of them were pure RB's (Terrell Davis, Clinton Portis, and Olandis Gary!?!), but they have also had FB's put up huge numbers (Mike Anderson). It doesn't matter who the ball carrier is, they end up with the numbers if they get the carries. When Portis was "the man," Anderson was his FB. Was that a waste? It could have been another part of the reason (when you include the O-line) why he was so effective! But, when Portis went down last year, who was right there to take over? You guessed it - Mike Anderson! I believe the weeks he came in for Portis last year he had some very good numbers (which made me mad since I had Portis and someone else used Anderson against me :-[ )

Droughns is a FB, and if they have a pure RB like Griffin starting they should use him as a FB in order to give the RB the best chance at getting good yardage. Now, last week Griffin and Bell were hurt...but Hearst was nowhere to be found on the field! Droughns was next in line to get the carries. Why? Because he's been in Denver's offensive system longer than Hearst! Droughns has been there since 2002. He would have the best idea of what's going on in the blocking schemes of each play - not to mention the best idea of what his line is capable of and what they normally accomplish during the play. I believe this is the reason he got the start last week over Hearst.

Griffin is healed up at this point, so Hearst once again becomes a third (or fourth) option. I believe Vlad nailed the role of Hearst for this team - someone that could come in if Griffin or Droughns didn't pan out. Hearst had a very good track record with SF even when he was splitting carries. So, he was the best available option for Denver. Just like in fantasy, it's always a good idea to have a capable backup if one of your studs goes down! :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby iloveny18 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:56 pm

iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:59 pm

iloveny18 wrote:

My guess is that Anderson was healthy and so Droughns was the #2 FB on the depth chart. Once Anderson hurt himself and was out for the year, Droughns was the next FB in line, and then also because the second option for the RB duties.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk