8th pick in the 1st round and im holding priest holmes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

8th pick in the 1st round and im holding priest holmes

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Yianni2112 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:30 pm

Sorry about that I forgot it was a keeper league. I must have been drunk.
Yianni2112
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby roninmedia » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:08 pm

last year, in my first year, I went with a wierd draft strategy in my league on sportsline.com.

I went WR, QB, RB, Def. And I would have won my league if the stupid 49ers weren't stuck in the 4th seed in the playoffs for like the last 4 weeks and they didn't play TO at all.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:45 pm

You're really putting a lot of faith in Priest (ha ha, get it?) if you go with that strategy. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with him and a 4th round draft pick as my running backs. The other issue I have is that once you get past TO and Harrison, honestly there's about 8-10 WR that are clumped together in the 2nd WR tier. To me, you'd at least have to get TO or Harrison as your WR to make that strategy work.

If you had someone like R. Williams/LT/Portis and could nab Owens/Harrison in the first and Vick/McNabb/Culpepper in the 2nd, I'd love your chances. So the strategy itself could work if the right players were available. I just wouldn't go down that path with Holmes.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby springfield atoms » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:29 pm

your strategy is not totally flawed, but with WRs, after TO, moss and harrison the level at wr drops off. if you REALLY thought you could get two of those three, sure, but outside of that, i wouldn't do it.

i might pass on the RB in the first round though to get a harrison.
geaux atoms!
homer jay simpson
springfield football atoms
springfield atoms
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby FeArMeNtL » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:21 pm

lol u guyz have great points. and i like that joke 9er Fan funny stuff. i have decided to go wat u guyz have said for a strategy. I will go and pick a stud rb. It would be so good if P.Holmes is 100% healthy and has a HUGE season. My 1st pick i would pick would possibly be a good rb. I hope that people will have there ways on Faulk and just let him pass to spot 8 but i dont see that happening. Then in round 2 i will take good QB. Then 3rd and 4th i take WR. Tell me what u guyz think on that strat. ;-D ;-D ;-D :-o
FeArMeNtL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:15 am

The only QB I'd consider taking is McNabb k. ur almost getting a RB/QB combo k, and was on pace to be the top fantasy player last year before he broke his ankle and played thru it k? Otherwise I'd take a RB k.

There should be about 7-8 RB's held and another 7-8 gone in your first round. There should be some serviceable RB left in round 3, but probably not a real quality guy. There's only about 16-20 good RB's, so if you wait until your 2nd pick, you get the leftovers which probably isn't a real good option.

You will still be able to get a top 10 WR with your 2nd pick. I'd wait on a QB if McNabb is not there. A little more info would help. Who is kept, what position are you picking in, etc.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby andyd » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:05 am

Sorry, I don't agree. I never target a stud QB early. You don't indicate the scoring rules (for all players) or number of starters for a team or how many teams in your league (all important points), but assuming they are "standard", you start only 1 QB. I have consistently had luck picking up 2-3 mid to late round QBs and having one pan out. Last year it was Bledsoe in the 7th in a 12 team league. How much the QB scores is only part of the equation on how important he is to your team, how many you can/are required to start is also a very important key. Many leagues require 2 RBs and even offer a flex position that can be used for a RB or WR but usually not a QB, so solid starting RBs for your team are often harder to come by. Also, RB scoring curves tend to drop off more steeply at the top of the curve, ie. top RBs are more valuable to you than top QBs.
andyd

Friendliness: %

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:38 pm

Vick, McNabb and Culpepper are probably the only QBs I'd take in your 2nd round. If those guys are already gone, take a WR (or maybe even a 3rd RB if a good one slips to you -- you can always trade him).
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby FeArMeNtL » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:58 pm

ya. but i want kurt warner because when week 11 hits their are on and easy schedule till week 17. He might produce huge #s going into them games. Plus i could have the Kurt Warner Faulk connection if its there? I think it would be looking nice. and if Kurt Warner,Priest Holmes,and M. Faulk all click and have huge seasons then u should just give me the money :). but see i want them to not have really good winning seasons so that they have to fight for a position in the playoffs and work hard. i dont want them to kno that they are in the playoffs and not play their good players u kno what im sayin?
FeArMeNtL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby tjhksig » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:45 pm

Wha? Ur speling konfuses me.

You're also assuming Warner and/or Faulk won't be injued either. Better get Bulger if you haven't already.
tjhksig
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk