NFL's Dirtiest Players - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

NFL's Dirtiest Players

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFL's Dirtiest Players

Postby Buckychudd » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:56 am

Good to see that 3 Broncos made the cut.
;-D !+)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/players/10/12/poll.dirtiest/index.html/ wrote:Based on a survey of 354 current and former players. Players were not allowed to vote for members of their own team.
Who is the dirtiest player in the NFL?

Rodney Harrison (S, Patriots).... 15%
Hines Ward (WR, Steelers) ........ 9%
Jon Runyan (T, Eagles) ................ 8%
Dan Neil (G, Broncos) ................... 8%
Kyle Turley (T, Rams) ................... 6%
Frank Middleton (G, Raiders) ...... 4%
Kenoy Kennedy (S, Broncos) .......4%
John Welbourn (T, Chiefs)............ 3%
Tom Nalen (C, Broncos) ............... 3%
Chris Hovan (DT, Vikings) ............ 3%

Fast Facts: Harrison, who spent nine seasons with San Diego before joining the Pats in 2003, has incurred more than $300,000 in fines, including $7,500 for a late hit on Arizona QB Josh McCown in Week 2. He was an All-Pro last year.... In 2001 Neil drew a $15,000 fine for clipping LB Bryan Cox, a play on which Cox broke his leg.

Hines Ward's response.....
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/s_262054.html wrote:Ward voted second dirtiest player
By Jerry DiPaola
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 15, 2004

Rod Woodson laughed when he was asked if he thought Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward deserved to be named the second-dirtiest player in the NFL.
"When he hit me inside my ear a couple times, yeah," Woodson, a former All-Pro defensive back, said. "But, I told him, I believe he is one of the top four wide receivers in the league, with Terrell Owens, Randy (Moss) and Marvin Harrison."

Ward, who combines aggressiveness with productivity as well as any player in the NFL, was surprised when he heard Thursday that a Sports Illustrated poll of 354 former and current players listed him second among the dirtiest players in the league. He received 9 percent of the vote, behind only New England Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, who got 15 percent.

"Thats tough," Ward said. "Is that something to be proud of? No, not really, because I don't play the game dirty."

But he admits that his insistence on blocking until the whistle blows angers many defensive backs.

"I get under their skin and really (make them mad)," he said. "I guess I'm the most-hated wideout in the league."

Ward remembers belting Woodson in a game against the Ravens in Baltimore, but he said he was within the rules.

"He just never expected a wideout to go after a defensive back," he said. "A lot of defensive backs don't expect to get blocked like I do (it). The way I approach the game, I'm going to hit you before you hit me.

Ward said he doesn't look at the defensive backs when he's running across the middle to make a catch. He also doesn't expect the defensive backs to look for him when theyre trying to tackle the ball carrier.

"I think it's fair. If you're going to hit me when I'm not looking, I'm going to hit you when you're not looking," Ward said. Steelers defensive end Travis Kirschke, who played in San Francisco last year, said 49ers coaches warned their players to watch out for Ward.

"You're not worried about (fullback) Dan Kreider putting the hit on you or (guard) Alan Faneca coming around the corner?" Ward said. "You're worried about a 200-pound wideout coming to knock your head off? I take that as a compliment."

Ward has been fined by the NFL, but he said it was only for taunting -- not for hard hits. Rodney Harrison, on the other hand, has paid $300,000 in fines in his career.

Ward said he hit Harrison hard one day, but it had little effect on him.

"He looked at me and shrugged his neck and said, 'I like that,'" Ward said.

Ward didn't vote in the SI poll, but he said all defensive backs play dirty.

"When I come across the middle, they are all trying to take my head off, so I have no sympathy for anybody else," he said.

Jerry DiPaola can be reached at mailto:trsp20@aol.com or 412-481-5432.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby brownslover » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:12 am

Ward said he hit Harrison hard one day, but it had little effect on him.

"He looked at me and shrugged his neck and said, 'I like that,'" Ward said.

Ummm.... Kind of kinky, don'tcha think?
8-o
What's your fat ass doing here?

He's my only means of conveyance. Buuut I guess I do spoil him.
brownslover
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Flux » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:26 am

Poor Hines. Who would have thought a former QB would be the 2nd dirtiest player in the NFL? 8-o
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Buckychudd » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:31 am

Flux wrote:Poor Hines. Who would have thought a former QB would be the 2nd dirtiest player in the NFL? 8-o

I think it's funny that a guy who plays hard gets a reputation for being dirty.

Just because he's playing 100% even while blocking doesn't mean he's dirty......it just means that the DBs are whiners.
}:-)
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Slingblade » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:14 am

Buckychudd wrote:
Flux wrote:Poor Hines. Who would have thought a former QB would be the 2nd dirtiest player in the NFL? 8-o

I think it's funny that a guy who plays hard gets a reputation for being dirty.

Just because he's playing 100% even while blocking doesn't mean he's dirty......it just means that the DBs are whiners.
}:-)

yeah, hines isnt dirty...he is just one hell of a player
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Turnip » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:08 am

Dirty can be a good thing...I know it's not what they meant, but I see Hines as a "dirty" player because he does the "dirty" work that most others at his position never do.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:39 am

Hines is the man fo' shizzle.

B-)
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:35 pm

Where is Sapp? That cheap shot on Clifton was downright disgusting.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm

Got to love the breakdown. Majority of the list is linemen, 2 safeties and a WR. How does a WR make the list? Classic! Kudos to Hines!
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:43 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Where is Sapp? That cheap shot on Clifton was downright disgusting.
Dude, it was a block. You are going to criticize Sapp for blocking, but not Hines Ward?
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to General Talk