Know anyone in the NFL? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Know anyone in the NFL?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Flockers » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:22 pm

When I was littler, I lived by Trent Klatt even though he's in the NHL, and now attend the same HS as he did.
Last edited by Flockers on Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby undercovermn » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:27 pm

OK, he's not in the NFL anymore, but when I was a kid Ronnie Lott was best friends with the older brother of MY best friend, who lived next door. We used to play street football and basketball with him. He was a nice guy (off the field) and taught me a lot about sports. Watching him play high school sports was AWESOME. He played both QB and safety for our team. Since they only needed HIM at safety, we had an extra linebacker so the other team couldn't run. If they passed, he'd intercept it half the time and injure the receiver the other half of the time. We ran the option so he led the division in yards and TD's BY FAR. He'd take QB sneaks for 40 yards. He also returned all the kicks, often for TD's. In baseball at shortstop, he led the division in average and HR's. In basketball, he wasn't a great shot but was the best defender in Southern California, scored tons of points driving to the hoop, and if there was a loose ball..... LOOK OUT!!! The other teams learned to just let him have it if they didn't want to come up bloody from the collisions....
undercovermn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:08 pm

A co-worker friend of mine married OL Dave Fiore, formerly of the 49ers. He's truly one of the nicest guys I've ever met. I work at TGI-Friday's and served him several times while he was waiting for his, at the time fiance, to get off of work. We always had a good laugh and great conversation, it was a great experience.

I also went to school with Roger Craig's daughter. We were both on the track and field team together. He was always really nice to talk with, very down-to-earth.

My best story comes from 1996. I was working at Starbucks in Los Altos, about an hour south of San Francisco. Steve Young used to come in to our Starbucks on occasion. I had the pleasure of serving him a few times from the espresso bar. When asked if I was a football fan, I replied,

"I'm a Colts fan. A real big Jim Harbaugh fan."

Steve looked at me and smirked. He grabbed his drink and said,

"Jim Harbaugh? Guy's a wuss."

We both got a good laugh out of it. He came in a few times since and we always got along great. He was a really great guy.

That's it!
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:45 pm

My business partner played college ball with:

Chris Dishman
Jim Everett
Mel Gray

and a few others.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:34 pm

Well I'm from Canada, so the only players I could possibly know are Steve Christie and Mike Vanderjagt, but nope, never met em.

My cousin was the starting fullback for one of the top Canadian Universities though (Laurier), and knows a ton of guys in the CFL, and I know a couple of them too.

Also, my high school rugby coach won a Grey Cup. Grey Cup = SuperBowl of the CFL.

And Paul Coffee's cousin Kevin was my baseball coach.
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dihall » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:41 pm

I graduated with Andy Harmon, used to play for Philly, defense. Nice guy but very, very quiet. Also, hubby goes to school with a guy who used to play for the Jets, don't remember his name though. Also, even though it's not the NFL, Kirk Herbstreit graduated a year after me from my high school, was the QB there before OSU. Didn't really know him though.
Don't ever underestimate the girls!!

Let's go DAWGS!!
dihall
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby DUKE » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:56 pm

Chris Collinsworth is a cousin of mine, but I haven't seen him in a long time.

I played football against two current NFL players that I know of. Played against Ahmed Plummer (CB 49ers). He was a quarterback in highschool and ran A LOT. I came up to make a tackle against him while he was running on a sweep and got faked out of my jock. I remember gettting absolutely chewed out by our defensive coordinator when I got back to the sidelines.

Also played against Marc Edwards (FB Jacksonville). He was a bruising runner in highschool. I didn't get as much action against him. He was a few years older than I was and at the time I was an underclassman and special teamer/backup when we faced them.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:48 pm

lbjackal wrote:Well I'm from Canada, so the only players I could possibly know are Steve Christie and Mike Vanderjagt, but nope, never met em.

My cousin was the starting fullback for one of the top Canadian Universities though (Laurier), and knows a ton of guys in the CFL, and I know a couple of them too.

Also, my high school rugby coach won a Grey Cup. Grey Cup = SuperBowl of the CFL.

hello? doug flutie?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LBJackal » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:57 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
lbjackal wrote:Well I'm from Canada, so the only players I could possibly know are Steve Christie and Mike Vanderjagt, but nope, never met em.

hello? doug flutie?

He's American. He played in Toronto for a bit, but most of the time you meet NFLers before they're in the NFL.

Also, Doug's younger brother Darren is the CFL's all-time leader in receptions.
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:05 pm

lbjackal wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:

hello? doug flutie?

He's American. He played in Toronto for a bit, but most of the time you meet NFLers before they're in the NFL.

Also, Doug's younger brother Darren is the CFL's all-time leader in receptions.

I know he's American... (i think he played at BC...), but he did spend a lot of time over there, him and his brother. But I am of the belief that he might sign with Toronto again after he is done in SD to finish out his career. At least I think that would be cool.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk