Know anyone in the NFL? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Know anyone in the NFL?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:43 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
lbjackal wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
lbjackal wrote:Well I'm from Canada, so the only players I could possibly know are Steve Christie and Mike Vanderjagt, but nope, never met em.

My cousin was the starting fullback for one of the top Canadian Universities though (Laurier), and knows a ton of guys in the CFL, and I know a couple of them too.

Also, my high school rugby coach won a Grey Cup. Grey Cup = SuperBowl of the CFL.

And Paul Coffee's cousin Kevin was my baseball coach.

hello? doug flutie?

He's American. He played in Toronto for a bit, but most of the time you meet NFLers before they're in the NFL.

Also, Doug's younger brother Darren is the CFL's all-time leader in receptions.

I know he's American... (i think he played at BC...), but he did spend a lot of time over there, him and his brother. But I am of the belief that he might sign with Toronto again after he is done in SD to finish out his career. At least I think that would be cool.

Yeah he played for a few teams.... BC first, then Calgary for a while (they were actually my favourite team, even though I live in Toronto), and then Toronto for 2 years.

And some people might not know this, but in his 6 full CFL seasons, he averaged 5,935 passing yards, and 40 TD passes per season. He had 44 or more in 3 of those seasons.
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DUKE » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:51 pm

skinsfan wrote:In addition to the Trotter story, I also taught Dexter Manley
When I started reading this sentence and got to this part, I thought the rest would be "to read." :-D
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:36 am

lbjackal wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
lbjackal wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
lbjackal wrote:Well I'm from Canada, so the only players I could possibly know are Steve Christie and Mike Vanderjagt, but nope, never met em.

My cousin was the starting fullback for one of the top Canadian Universities though (Laurier), and knows a ton of guys in the CFL, and I know a couple of them too.

Also, my high school rugby coach won a Grey Cup. Grey Cup = SuperBowl of the CFL.

hello? doug flutie?

He's American. He played in Toronto for a bit, but most of the time you meet NFLers before they're in the NFL.

I know he's American... (i think he played at BC...), but he did spend a lot of time over there, him and his brother. But I am of the belief that he might sign with Toronto again after he is done in SD to finish out his career. At least I think that would be cool.

Yeah he played for a few teams.... BC first, then Calgary for a while (they were actually my favourite team, even though I live in Toronto), and then Toronto for 2 years.

And some people might not know this, but in his 6 full CFL seasons, he averaged 5,935 passing yards, and 40 TD passes per season. He had 44 or more in 3 of those seasons.

I meant Boston College... not British Columbia. My bad... :-/

Anyways, that's exactly why Flutie Flakes should play at least one more season in Canada before he retires... he was a champ.

As for the stats, while they are super human in the NFL, remember in the CFL the field is wider, there are three downs instead of four (meaning more likely to pass than run), and defensive lineman have to line up a yard off the ball. The CFL has a system that favors the offense heavily... because more scoring = more excitement, and more excitement = more fans. ;-D

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LBJackal » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:56 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:
lbjackal wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
lbjackal wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:

hello? doug flutie?

I meant Boston College... not British Columbia. My bad... :-/

Anyways, that's exactly why Flutie Flakes should play at least one more season in Canada before he retires... he was a champ.

As for the stats, while they are super human in the NFL, remember in the CFL the field is wider, there are three downs instead of four (meaning more likely to pass than run), and defensive lineman have to line up a yard off the ball. The CFL has a system that favors the offense heavily... because more scoring = more excitement, and more excitement = more fans. ;-D

Well I don't know if it's BECAUSE more scoring equals more fans. Although that might be why it's still around. The CFL has been around for almost 100 years. But yeah, offensive numbers are exaggerated. And playing with 3 downs is IMO the main reason I don't watch a lot of CFL football.
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby awwchrist » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:12 am

DUKE wrote:
skinsfan wrote:In addition to the Trotter story, I also taught Dexter Manley
When I started reading this sentence and got to this part, I thought the rest would be "to read." :-D

:-D
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jwbseven » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:23 am

Nobodies Business wrote:I got you beat... I once mopped the floor with Jeramia Trotter and his inferior Tae Kwan Do style, with my superior Jeet Kune Do style...

good one
To achieve the ultimate reward you must be willing to make the ultimate sacrifice
jwbseven
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby EscapeIsNever » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:01 am

my uncle's father was on the Superbowl 1 team for the Packers...quite the ring!
EscapeIsNever Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ancestralworm » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:04 pm

went to school with tim ratay
met big wiggles in french quarter once
ancestralworm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby jwbseven » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:10 am

ancestralworm wrote:went to school with tim ratay

Really? Wow. Did you know how to spell his last name, R-A-T-T-A-Y, in high school and you just forgot?
To achieve the ultimate reward you must be willing to make the ultimate sacrifice
jwbseven
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ancestralworm » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:09 am

jwbseven wrote:
ancestralworm wrote:went to school with tim ratay

Really? Wow. Did you know how to spell his last name, R-A-T-T-A-Y, in high school and you just forgot?

In collage even. Imagine that. I never said I was best buds with the man.
ancestralworm
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk