Question for those who know football. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Question for those who know football.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Question for those who know football.

Postby bverji » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:50 am

I’m in a dynasty league and I’m looking for an RB that has a good chance to start and be a productive fantasy contributor in about 3-5 years. Please don’t say Barlow or Duckett the point is that I’m looking for players that not every fool with a FF magazine will come up with. I have 3-4 possible ideas, but am looking to see if anyone has some suggestion I haven’t considered yet.
bverji
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:53 am

3-5 years? That's the average lifespan of an NFL back, right?

Since I guess you're not talking college players, this makes it very hard. You need someone who is either hurt this year or may be on the practice squad or something like that.

How about Antwoine Womack, although he may play more this year...
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DUKE » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:17 am

Even though I'm about sick of hearing about this guy, Tony Hollings for the Texans could turn out to be a nice RB if he ends up recovering nicely from his injury, and the Texans improve as a team. Your question is a bit ambiguous so I'm not sure if that was what you were looking for or not. Hope it helps though.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby hwaterboys » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:21 am

Onterrio Smith. Fits the vikings runningback prototype. Bennetts injury is starting to look alot like Grant Hills.

Lamont Jordan. Will be great before 3-5 years probably in 2-3. Has all of the tools to be great.

Elvis Joseph you know the back up to fragile fraud fred taylor. If taylor goes down Elvis will be good. Most NFL runningbacks have the tools to be great players, Most depends on if the system is condusive to that players talent. Example Priest Holmes in baltimore was 2nd string, goes to KC instant star.

Larry Johnson, No not as a handcuff but because the Priest is 30 years old. He has also stated numerous times that he is not going to be one of those backs that stays around for along time. He wants to succeed off of the field also. Larry has the skills to step in and take over where priest left off.

Adrian Peterson. The bears like his game and they won't wait again for the A-Train to de-rail.
Here are some other considerations.

Chris Brown -Titans
Maurice Morris -Seahawks
Shawn Bryson -Lions
Luke Staley - If he ever recovers from injury he could fit in nicely in eagles offense, better receiver than runner and he is a very good runner.

GOOD LUCK
hwaterboys
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby slowkidz » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:25 am

hwaterboys wrote:Elvis Joseph you know the back up to fragile fraud fred taylor. If taylor goes down Elvis will be good. Most NFL runningbacks have the tools to be great players

ummm...last i checked...LaBrandon Toefield was lil freddy taylor's backup....still a good option tho...
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby bverji » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:31 am

thanks for you suggestions
bverji
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby MCG321 » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:38 am

Buckhalter should be doing well in a few years.

And to whoever said Luke Staley was on the Eagles...he's not.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:47 am

What about the guy in Carolina, DeShaun Foster?
He's slipped off a lot of radars after he went down for the season last yr. Backing up Stephen Davis, yeah, Id say 2-4 yrs for him to be an elite is about right.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby springfield atoms » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:03 pm

its tough to say...a lot of names floating around out there.

for the person that mentioned it, luke staley is in detroit. another lion to look at is artose pinner.

of course, not many UK backs have done great in the pros...i guess moe williams is a good backup. but still, to lead the SEC in rushing is an accomplishment.

i am going to give my thoughts on some of the guys mentioned and some other guys...

luke staley, det.: can't stay healthy. if he could, might be a good fit in a west coast system.

elvis joseph, jax: don't think he has the talent. has hung around for a while and never showed much.

onterio smith, min: a good pickup pending the bennett situation. if he wins the job and does well, no reason he won't hold it.

larry johnson, kc: don't think he is in a good system for his talents in KC, plus, think of curtis enis and ki-jana

lamont jordan, nyj: this he is another lamar smith type who will be hyped as a second back, but when he actually gets his shot won't do much...though, he is worth a shot.

adrian peterson, chi: think he is just an average back.

chris brown, ten. good thought as backup to george as a rookie...may be another lamont jordan but may turn out.

the guy i would pick up....

marcel shipp, arz: they guy was getting the job done, they signed emmitt for PR. don't be shocked to see him starting midseason.

also, why not take a flyer on mcghee, justin fargas or some other rookies
geaux atoms!
homer jay simpson
springfield football atoms
springfield atoms
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby hwaterboys » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:17 pm

Sorry for luke staley with the eagles, you are correct he is with the lions I must have confused with duce staley.
To validate some of my choices pleae keep in mind that you are asking for 3-5 years down the line. No One really knows who will be good and who won't. What I was trying to point out is the system is the key. I would look for a runningback that is in a great running system, for example Denvers System they always produce top notch runningbacks, Now it will be a while before they will have another need for a runningback but this is the type of system that I would look for, Systems that keep on producing top runningbacks, Norv Turner, etc.
hwaterboys
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk