How long does an auction draft take? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How long does an auction draft take?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How long does an auction draft take?

Postby TheRock » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:21 pm

Trying to convince my league to switch to an auction style draft rather than a traditional serpentine. The main complaint I keep hearing is that it will take too long. I've never actually done one, so can you guys give me an idea how long it usually takes?

We are a 12 team league, we play QB, RB, WR, TE, Flex, Flex, K, IDP, IDP, IDP with 6 bench spots, so 16 rounds. We put a 1 minute time limit on each owner during the draft, so our draft usually runs 2 1/2 hours or so.

How much more for an auction? I foresee 3-3 1/2 hours, is that reasonable?

I don't really see the issue here, drafting is one of the most kick a$$ parts of the season, who cares if it takes longer if it's more fun this way?
TheRock
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:45 pm

I think your estimate is a bit low; especially if your league is doing an auction for the first time, I'd plan on at least five hours. You can speed things up, though, by being prepared and organized (for instance by keeping track of players drafted and money available on a large board; a good auctioneer also helps).
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pmix » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:50 pm

Last year was the first year for our auction league. It took us about 4 1/2 to 5 hours. It didn't seem that long though. This year everybody will be a little better prepared, I think we can do it in under 4 hours.

A couple suggestions, designate two or three people as the auctioneers. That way if one of the auctioneers is bidding than another can step in and cover the duty of watchin the bidding war. Also don't wait around for people to make a decision on whether they want to bid. As soon as a bid was spoken and auctioneer would start the count going once, going twice, sold. You always have people that wait until the very last second to bid so they can see how much interest is in a guy.

Get in a room where you can hang large pieces of paper for each team. Then as a player is won, that team manager writes down the name, price, and than his amount of left over salary cap.

I love the auction draft. Because it is free game on any player. There definately is a ton of strategy that goes into the draft.
pmix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby springfield atoms » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:06 pm

we are a 30 player, 12 team keeper league. we redraft about 120-140 players per year and it usually takes 4 hours.

make sure that you have (as said above) several folks who monitor the money and players left. i suggest a dry erase board as well as someone keeping up with it on paper (and tell the owners to keep it up themselves)

set minimum bids and increments. if you have a $200 cap with a .25 minumum bid, you will be there a lot longer

also, one pet peeve.

if they call out faulk, rb, st. louis he starts at the minimum

if they want to start him for higher than the minimum, then they say, for $10, faulk, rb st louis.

its best to get somone who is not in the league to be the auctioneer

also, say before hand that you will pause at the end of every 3-4 rounds for restroom, smoke, food, beer, etc. if you allow trades during the draft, then add 1-2 timeouts per team .

also, the calling up order, decide beforehand if a team can 'pass' and if so, how many times
geaux atoms!
homer jay simpson
springfield football atoms
springfield atoms
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk