Let's hear it for the Poston Bros. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Let's hear it for the Poston Bros.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Let's hear it for the Poston Bros.

Postby MadScott » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:02 pm

Got love this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=f ... &type=lgns

49ers: Peterson contract offer pulled

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Friday, October 15, 2004

News
49ers' general manager Tom Donahue said Thursday that the six-year, $37.8 million contract offered to linebacker Julian Peterson is no longer on the table. "No, that offer was back in March," Donahue told the Mercury News. "When Julian signed the franchise tag, that was his offer. You can't have an offer on the table when a guy signs a franchise tag. We've never had negotiations after that point. When we start negotiating again, we start from scratch." Peterson tore an Achilles' tendon last Sunday and is out for the year.

Views
The deal offered in March might have been pulled from the table, but that doesn't necessarily mean the Niners will try to lowball Peterson because of his injury. After all, they signed tight end Eric Johnson to a three-year contract extension during the offseason even though he spent last season on injured reserve with a broken collarbone.

I'm sure Peterson is thrilled that he listened to them now. I feel bad for him but it serves those two right.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:04 pm

Kellen Winslow already got screwed because of his injury (if he played 30% of the snaps, he would've got so much more money...Postons negotiated that part into the contract).
That's two bad blunders for the Poston brothers.

I hope Orlando Pace suffers a horrible injury too. That'd be great.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:06 pm

Plus since Kellen got hurt he lost a ton of money from his signing bonus. Pace already ditched them, how long will it be until the rest of their clients wise up.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:10 pm

I hate the Postons! Even though I am a Cleveland and KW2 fan, I am kinda glad he didnt get all his money. He and Postons messed up even after their holdout! haha
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:06 pm

Karmic justice at its best.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:01 pm

The postons are complete retards.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Favre.com » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:46 pm

Peterson IS that team, they need to offer him more, franchise or not, him and Parrish are the ones who hold that defense together (whatever is left of it anyways). He'll get a fair deal, but not those numbers, kinda sad...
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Postby GMoney » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:51 am

they did offer more than that... i think those numbers are guaranteed money, not counting signing bonus or something.

The niners offered him the biggest contract in franchise history....

that contract would have made juilan the 2nd highest paid player at his position behind only ray lewis..... he still rejected it.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby GMoney » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:58 am

from the 49er website.

Donahue Talks Peterson Contract Back to Newsroom
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

RE – Negotiations with the Postons?

“The way it works is that you can’t really begin negotiations again until July 15. There’s a period of time that if you negotiate and then sign a contract, as you guys know, the franchise goes with that contract. We’ve had no contact whatsoever with the Postons since we informed them that we were going to franchise Julian. I would expect that sometime after July 15 that we’ll have some initial contact. But there really isn’t a whole lot to discuss.”

“I do not expect us to be in any heavy negotiations or anything like that. We’ve made an offer that is the highest in the history of the franchise. We’ve offered this athlete the biggest contract in the history of the 49ers. We have offered him the second highest linebacker contract in the history of the National Football League. The only player at his position that would have a higher contract than he would is Ray Lewis. Ray Lewis is an MVP of the league and a perennial Pro Bowler. We’ve made Julian the second highest paid linebacker in the league. We’ve offered him a contract that is higher than Brian Urlacher’s. We’ve offered him a contract that is higher than the contract that LaVar Arrington signed for new money, for new money I am talking about. We’ve gone where we can go. We’ve made a very, very competitive offer. We understand these things. This isn’t any animosity with Julian or with the Postons. This is part of doing business in the National Football League. It really is. We’re anticipating now that we couldn’t come to an agreement, that the things that I just mentioned that they aren’t good enough. We did what the Collective Bargaining Agreement calls for, which is to put a franchise tag on a player. And we expect the player to come in and play for the negotiated franchise number. Now, when he gets here and all that, I can’t really speak of that. But, I do not anticipate that we are going to have any heavy, ongoing or beginning any new negotiations on July 15. I just don’t think that that’s reasonable because we don’t have very much room to move. We really don’t, based on what I told you. I can show you what I told you is accurate. I’m not blowing smoke, I’m telling you what it is and that’s where it is.”

RE – Are the figures signing bonus money?

“I’m talking about total package. You can slice it any way you want, it’s the second best linebacker contract in the history of the league in our opinion. Now, somebody else might say that we’re grieving LaVar Arrington’s contract. But I’m just telling you what Arrington signed, what Urlacher signed and what we’ve offered Julian Peterson and we’ve done all the research, and where Lewis is at, this is the second highest contract for a linebacker in the history of the league. That’s where it is.”

RE – Peterson stated he wanted a signing bonus in the area of Arrington and Urlacher, is the 49ers offer in that area?

“You do your own research. We’ve offered him $15.5 million to sign. You go figure it out. That’s what we’ve offered him. I’m just saying what I’m saying.”

RE – Peterson wants $30 million to sign?

“I don’t know. I’ve lost track.”

RE – Has he talked with Peterson?

“I haven’t seen Julian or talked to him. I love Julian. He’s a great guy. He’s been one of my favorite players since we drafted him. I was certainly part of a team that selected him to come here. He’s a great guy. We love Julian Peterson.”
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:11 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:Kellen Winslow already got screwed because of his injury (if he played 30% of the snaps, he would've got so much more money...Postons negotiated that part into the contract).
That's two bad blunders for the Poston brothers.

I hope Orlando Pace suffers a horrible injury too. That'd be great.

35%.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk