Do I Draft a TE if there is no dedicated position? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do I Draft a TE if there is no dedicated position?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do I Draft a TE if there is no dedicated position?

Postby DashRiprock » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:47 pm

I am a beginner (although I won my first league last year) and my league this year does not have a dedicated TE position, instead it has the WR/TE combo.

My question is should I even draft a TE?

I see that after the Top 3 TEs there is a big drop-off in talent and scoring. If I cant get one of the Top 3 TEs, is there any point of drafting one at all?

What I was thinking of doing is continue to draft WRs that will out-produce all the remaining TEs, and just wait until a "sleeper" TE comes out of the woodwork and pick him up...

Is this smart? Thanks for any replies.
DashRiprock

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: Do I Draft a TE if there is no dedicated position?

Postby Homeless » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:42 pm

DashRiprock wrote:I am a beginner (although I won my first league last year) and my league this year does not have a dedicated TE position, instead it has the WR/TE combo.

My question is should I even draft a TE?

I see that after the Top 3 TEs there is a big drop-off in talent and scoring. If I cant get one of the Top 3 TEs, is there any point of drafting one at all?

What I was thinking of doing is continue to draft WRs that will out-produce all the remaining TEs, and just wait until a "sleeper" TE comes out of the woodwork and pick him up...

Is this smart? Thanks for any replies.

The way I read it, you have exactly the right plan, if you cant get a top 3 TE, get a WR instead, many more points will come your way. ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby DUKE » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:54 pm

agreed!
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Dazedncnfz » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:42 pm

if you dont have to start a TE then dont draft one...If you can get one of the top 2 (shocky and gonzo) go for it, if not get WR and don't think twice about it...

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:53 pm

uhhh...you forgot Heap. besides Lewis, he is Baltimore's offense...lol
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Dazedncnfz » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:56 pm

I didn't forget heap...I said top 2...I would not take Heap over another WR....

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby drunkenmonkey » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:11 pm

I would. Let's face it. By the time you've drafted three or four receivers in a ten to twelve man league, there are slim pickens left. You might grab a guy who is going to score three or four touchdowns as a number three receiver. Just grab predictions on this year's performance from a respectable fantasy football mag, and then figure out when a TE should be slipped into the WR rankings based on his numbers. I think you'll find you start seeing a few TE into the thirties and forties in WRs.
It's time to roll the dice!
drunkenmonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Flux » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:20 pm

you do need to remember that it is a TE, so dont pick one of the 2 or 3 (however you want to rank them) ahead of good talent at the WR spot. Wait a few rounds, and if there are no other options, take a chance on one
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Juke » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:24 pm

It depends on the size of your league. In a 10 man league I say no way. You can find other WR that will post bigger numbers than either Shockey or Gonzalez. Really these guys are taken because they are so much better than your avg. TE, and in leagues where you must start a TE that is a huge advantage.
Juke
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby drunkenmonkey » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:42 pm

Let me clarify my last post. According to the Sporting News rankings, Chris Chambers is the number 30 WR (just using this as an example). His numbers were 734 yards and 3 TD last year. They have Alge Crumpler as the #7 TE. His numbers were 455 yards and 5 TD. In a league that gives 1 pt per 20 yards and 6 pts per TD, Chambers would've had 54 pts. Crumpler would have had 52 pts. All I'm saying is that there are a lot of WRs that will be taken that will only score 3-5 TD and many TEs that are goal-line targets that may not put up the yardage but will score 5 or six TDs

Because of this, I think that in a ten team league that starts 3 WR/TE, there should probably be 5 or six TEs that outscore many 3rd WR options that guys WILL draft and WILL start. Food for thought.
It's time to roll the dice!
drunkenmonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk