Deeeeeeep Leagues - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Deeeeeeep Leagues

Moderator: Football Moderators

Deeeeeeep Leagues

Postby Vixtor » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:06 pm

Who else thinks that the more teams the better? Forget all this 10-team league nonsense - that is child's play! It takes real skill to win in a 16-20 team league, and it's much funner. Of course, there are no free agents worth 2 cents and you basically have to draft Shawn Bryson-like talent at some point - needle in the haystack stuff! Also, defensive players are a nice addition. If you've been around fantasy football for more than three years and have not experienced a really deep league, you don't know what you're missing!

Who agrees? Disagrees?
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby drunkenmonkey » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:47 pm

I think 12 team leagues are about my max. It's not that I'm an amateur or that I don't know what I'm doing, but I don't think it is as much fun when half your starters either don't play or score no points every week. I think there is plenty of skill in a 12-team league because everyone will have some top-flight talent, but around round 8 or 9, you have to know your stuff and start getting some sleepers who will perform.
It's time to roll the dice!
drunkenmonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Purple_Pride » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:52 pm

I absolutely love deep leagues. I played in a 18 team league last year and it was great. think about it, 32 starting RB in the NFL yet in the fantasy league there are 36 starting RB so its a great time, you better know your s&@! and be good at picking sleepers. also its fun if you have to start your whole team. no bench. Anyone know where I could find a deep league like that or maybe we could start one up here.
SKOL VIKES!!!!
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby joester » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:30 pm

Im joined a 20 team league with IDPs for the 1st time this season and I think its going to be a blast..........ive never played in a league this size so i hope its as fun as u say
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Arlo » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:33 am

The 'deepest' league I've played in was with eight teams... for an xfl league. :-D

Yeah, I know, the xfl was pretty awful, but it was interesting to see what happened with eight fantasy owners and eight real teams... (Of course, when one team wound up with over half the starting qb's, things got a bit silly... !+) )
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Deep is Challenging

Postby DraftDodger » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:14 am

I'd argue that a deep league is MORE challenging to "pro" fantasy football players. With plenty of talent to go around, a fantasy football novice can still field an incredible team. The "pro" players will really have to step up their games just to compete with the novices.

The best fantasy football guys will do better in "shallow" leagues where the addition of a single sleeper can improve their team immensely and leave the opposition with no great pickups.

Waiver drops in a deep league have little importance. In a league without depth, you might have half the league watching to see if Team X is going to drop Billy Miller in order to make room for a bye week pickup. In a deep league you might see Chris Chambers released and think, "OMG some yahoo actually had Chambers on his roster?" [just kidding Chris, break a leg!]
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:00 am

bigger the better.

Friendliness: %

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:09 am

I also like more teams. Last year we had 12 in my family/hometown league, and we are shooting for fourteen this year.

On a side note a deep league makes injuries all the more serious. You really need your three or four big guns to produce and if one of them gets hurt (last year I had Warner) you can be in a real jam. However luckily I drafted Portis and Aaron Brooks also, so I was able to still win the league through a series of upsets in the playoffs
Trainer of Dolphins
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk