Should I complain about the scoring? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should I complain about the scoring?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should I complain about the scoring?

Postby Big D » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:12 am

I'm only in my second season, so I'm still learning. I just joined a private yahoo league. I though the scoring was a little odd...like 15 points for a safty. Should I complain to the commish about these? And what would you suggest to change them too? BTW I have no idea how many teams will be joining, but the max is set to 20.

Starting Positions:
QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, WR/TE, WR/RB, K, D, D, DL, DL, DL, DB, DB, Bench, Bench, Bench, Bench, Bench, Bench, Bench, Bench

Statistical Categories (Offense):
Passing Yards (50 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Sacks (-1)
Rushing Yards (20 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Reception Yards (20 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Yards (20 yards per point)
Return Touchdowns (12)
2 Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)

Statistical Categories (Kickers):
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Point After Attempt Made (1)

Statistical Categories (Defense Players):
Tackle Solo (1)
Tackle Assist (0.5)
Sack (3)
Interception (3)
Fumble Force (4)
Fumble Recovery (3)
Touchdown (10)
Safety (15)
Pass Defended (1)
Block Kick (15)

Thanks in advance!
Big D

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby GoldDigger » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:54 am

I don't think the scoring system is anything to complain about. Blocked kicks and safeties are so rare, so they give them a higher point value. The rest of the scoring system seems comparable to me.

HATS TO THE BACK...IT'S RALLY TIME!
GoldDigger
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Arlo » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:09 am

As Golddigger said, those big points for safeties and blocked kick will be very rare. Whether or not you like the added random factor is basically just a matter of taste; if you don't think it's something that will make the league more fun, you can certainly ask whether the commish would put it to a league vote.

The big issue here is return points. At a point every 20 yards, solid kick returners will be absolutely huge. That's also a matter of taste, of course, but this is something that's bound to ruffle more feathers than safeties. A lot of fantasy owners just aren't happy seeing Michael Lewis ranked ahead of Isaac Bruce... You might want to mention that to your league, to at least make sure everybody understands the implications and can decide whether or not that rule should be used.

Then again, you can also just keep quiet until you draft Lewis in round 16... ;-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:08 pm

I'd complain. 15 points for a block/saftety may sound cool now to some people, but trust me people will hate that rule by the end of the year.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dazedncnfz » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:19 pm

As rare as they are, I have to agree...say something now and get it out of the way...he may not want to change it and you may not want to play in a league like that....if this is really bothering you ask the commish to put it to a vote now, before the draft starts...

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pirate of the Carib » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:23 pm

It seems fine to me.
Go Dolphins!!!
Pirate of the Carib
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:51 pm

May I give you some advise? Is this a friend of yours running the show? Do you know anyone else in the league, or did you join it from the available private leagues page?

My advice for you is to quit the league before you draft, and join a normal public Yahoo league instead. Too many private Yahoo leagues are run by inexperienced commishs, and they tend to have widespread cheating or inactive owners or both.

Just join a normal league until you get more experience, and then only go private if you know the people in your draft.

Thats the best advice I can give ya.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Big D » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:11 pm

Yes this is for the most part a group of guys i know, in fact the commish lives down the street from me. He was also our commish last year, and for the most part I thought he was fair. I imagine if I bring it up, he will be receptive of the idea, I just wanted to get some opinions here first.
While I'm at it, any draft advice (auto pick)?
Big D

Friendliness: %

Auto pick advice

Postby massraider » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:34 pm

Yeah, make sure your K's and D's are way down the end of your list. There will be someone in your league who drafts Jay Feely in round 5. Don't be that guy!
massraider
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby tjhksig » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:56 pm

Autodraft's suck, you always get shafted somehow.
tjhksig
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk