Calling all Cafe geniuses---help needed with draft strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Calling all Cafe geniuses---help needed with draft strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Calling all Cafe geniuses---help needed with draft strategy

Postby nsulham » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:46 pm

There's still a little over a month until my draft and I'll probably come back for advice once it gets close but like an itch that just HAS to be scratched, I gotta get as much advice as possible on this. Never hurts to be prepared, right?

Anyways, it's the 2nd year of our keeper league in which we get to keep 1 (I know, big number huh) offensive player and 1 defensive player (we do IDP). My keeper is Priest Holmes and since I made it to the Super Bowl and lost :~( I'm slated to pick 9th. SO, I've reviewed the teams and this looks like it will PROBABLY be the keeper list: Ricky, LT, Portis, Alexander, Manning, Owens, Holmes, McAllister, S. Davis and Faulk.

Obviously I'm going to pick a RB at #9 but my next pick at #12 is what's puzzling me. The big factor here is I want to see how Priest does in camp and pre-season before I make my decision. If he's healthy and looking good, maybe I grab a top WR like a Moss, Moulds, Horn type. BUT if he's a little shaky I'll probably grab another RB to give me 3. My question is, would you guys go RB at #12 no questions asked or would you look at a WR?

All advice given is much obliged!
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Calling all Cafe geniuses---help needed with draft strategy

Postby Vixtor » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:00 pm

nsulham wrote:My question is, would you guys go RB at #12 no questions asked or would you look at a WR?

Never do anything "no questions asked" - that's crazyspeak. It depends on the situation. Between Moss and Dillon, for instance, I think you have to take Moss regardless of Priest's health. Now, if it's Joe Horn, the situation is entirely different. It also depends on what RB you grabbed at #9.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby nsulham » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:17 pm

My question is, would you guys go RB at #12 no questions asked or would you look at a WR?

OK, so the no questions asked statement was a little much. What I basically meant though was should I still take a 3rd RB irregardless of Priest's status....I can see your point crystal clear though. Thanks.
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Calling all Cafe geniuses---help needed with draft strategy

Postby Cliff Harris » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:55 pm

nsulham wrote:Obviously I'm going to pick a RB at #9 but my next pick at #12 is what's puzzling me.

I feel you've got to take a RB at #9, like you said, and then, um, what's that? Geniuses only? Didn't read the subject title close enough. Sorry. Good luck though.
Cliff Harris
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby slowkidz » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:10 pm

For me, I think it'll come down to whose left on the board come your 3rd pick. Im sure there will be some RB talent there (Smith, Hambrick, Mack, etc)...but there should also be some kind of good WR talent as well (Ward, Horn, Moulds, Toomer, Burress)...I'd hold off and see who's available around that time and then decide. Or post it back up for us to help if need be. To worry about a 3rd rnd draft pick now is just guesswork and too stressful...

Personally, I'd go with a top WR talent over a 3rd tier RB any day...
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Homeless » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:36 pm

As has been mentioned, there is likely to be some decent WR's when your 3rd pick comes around, but the RB chart will be pretty slim. Best guess here would be to take the best payer available be it WR or RB.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Well.....

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:19 pm

With those backs being kept, and a run likely to happen in front of you, I doubt a serious RB will be available at 12. If you're keeping Priest, you should be comfortable in his health, or else you'd save someone else. I think the quality will be there at WR. If you can get one before the second dropoff at WR, I'd do it. The reason is the backs that'll be available in the third round should be solid 3rd backs. Guys like Barlow, maybe Garner. I think if some decent WR's are there, go for them. You could gamble, and try and make your starters stronger, by waiting on backs and grabbing Onterrio or Hambrick late. Check out the RB's you have ranked 19-26. that's where your third back is coming from. There's some quality there....

Friendliness: %

Postby Roseman » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:26 pm

Well if I was you I would go for the RB at like you planned but at 12 I would go for the WR and if you are worried about Holmes health I would grab Larry Johnson around the 5 round or so. It never hurts to have RB depth so going for a RB with the 12th pick will not hurt but I wouldnt pass up a top WR for a third tier RB just because you are worried about Holmes' health.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:30 pm

Lets see... 8 RBs kept, and 11 draft picks before your 2nd pick. I'll assume for the sake of argument Harrison, Vick and McNabb are drafted along with 8 more RB. That means roughly 16 RBs will be off the board. This leaves you with the George, Martin, Barlow, Canidate, Hambrick crowd vs. just about every WR not named Harrison, Owens and probably Moss.

Very tough call with Holmes as your #1. I'd probably take Barlow or W. Green (if he slips that far) regardless. If those guys are gone, I'd take a RB if you start 2 WR and a WR if you start 3 WR.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk