Droughns is he really this good - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Droughns is he really this good

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:13 am

GB Packer Fan 2004 wrote:The only thing that sacres me is the hype he is getting. I remember the hype on Griffin after week 1

With all due respect, that was against the KC run defense.

Griffin's game is predicated on getting through holes and making people miss. Droughns is a bigger back who runs downhill, breaks tackles and moves the pile. The wild card here is Shanahan, who might do almost anything at any time. But as long as things are going well he's not going to pull a Jimy Williams — and Droughns is much less likely to vanish against a tough defense than the miniscule Griffin.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:43 am

Hugh M. Griz wrote:
GB Packer Fan 2004 wrote:The only thing that sacres me is the hype he is getting. I remember the hype on Griffin after week 1

With all due respect, that was against the KC run defense.

Griffin's game is predicated on getting through holes and making people miss. Droughns is a bigger back who runs downhill, breaks tackles and moves the pile. The wild card here is Shanahan, who might do almost anything at any time. But as long as things are going well he's not going to pull a Jimy Williams — and Droughns is much less likely to vanish against a tough defense than the miniscule Griffin.

While Griffin did play a soft run D in KC, Droughns, actually played weaker run defenses so far.

KC currently ranks 23rd against the run while CAR and OAK rank 28th and 30th respectively.

Expect another big game from Droughns though as he is facing CIN (32nd against the run) this week.

His first real test wont come until week 8 against ATL
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Estarr01 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:42 pm

I agree with flux, he hasn't proven anything more than he can run against piss poor D's. I don't think he has any long term potential at this point. The only positive I think he has is that he's in the same mold as TD/M. Anderson/Portis because he runs straight ahead and isn't shifty similar to what Q-tip tried to do all the time. I'm not familiar with T. Bell's running style so I can't speculate on whether or not he could replace Droughns in the next couple of weeks, but I do know that he's at least getting a chance to prove his worth at the end of the games, so shanny must see something in him.
Estarr01
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby V-unit » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:36 pm

I have seen enough of him to judge him and i think that he is legit.Remember guys this is the NFL and not every RB can get those # even against sorry Defense's.This guy is not going to average 165 yds a gm but he will get his carries in a good system and will perform.
Starting Linup for 2007
QB:M.Schaub*,J.Cambell,J.Dellhomme(IR)
RB:L.Tomlinson*,Rudi Johnson*,E.Grahm,C.WIlliams(IR)
WR:S.Smith*,Roy Williams*,G.Jennings,N.Burleson
WR/TE:A.Gates*,D.Clark
K:S.M.Grokaswkie NE K*,S.Grahm
D:SD*,Tennesee
V-unit
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deftdelivery » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:56 pm

V-unit wrote:I have seen enough of him to judge him and i think that he is legit.Remember guys this is the NFL and not every RB can get those # even against sorry Defense's.This guy is not going to average 165 yds a gm but he will get his carries in a good system and will perform.

Solid analysis...agree completely ;-D
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Flux » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:47 pm

V-unit wrote:I have seen enough of him to judge him and i think that he is legit.Remember guys this is the NFL and not every RB can get those # even against sorry Defense's.This guy is not going to average 165 yds a gm but he will get his carries in a good system and will perform.

sounds like a lot of Q. Griffin discussions after week 1
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hayesb26 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:43 pm

He is very capable to thrive in the Denver system. Those two games he had were great, granted they were against horrible run defenses, but watching the highlights of him running show me that he is capable of starting in the league.

As for the starting job, as long as he avoids injury or just a horrid game(s), he's good to go. Shanny will keep giving him the ball if he continues to play solid.

Obviously, I wouldn't expect him to continue those kind of numbers for the rest of the year. But about 130 yards a game and close to a TD average would be very reasonable, probably even better than that.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tmfs » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:18 pm

Every one keeps discounting Droughns because the two games were against two bad run D's, but he ran for damn near 400 yards in both of those games.

Carolina has given up:
A. Green 119
P. Holmes 66
W. Dunn 76
R. Droughns 196
B. Westbrook 64

Oakland has given up:
D. Staley 91
T. Henry 67
E. James 136
R. Droughns 176

So you see while he has played against weak defenses he has way surpassed what a number of studs have done. Not that I think he's all world but you can't discount what he has done.
tmfs
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:23 pm

tmfs wrote:Every one keeps discounting Droughns because the two games were against two bad run D's, but he ran for damn near 400 yards in both of those games.

Exactly. He didn't run against two bad Ds, he ran over them. He's not going to put up almost 200 yards a week but he's definitely legit. ;-D
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:25 pm

tmfs wrote:Every one keeps discounting Droughns because the two games were against two bad run D's, but he ran for damn near 400 yards in both of those games.

Carolina has given up:
A. Green 119
P. Holmes 66
W. Dunn 76
R. Droughns 196
B. Westbrook 64

Oakland has given up:
D. Staley 91
T. Henry 67
E. James 136
R. Droughns 176

So you see while he has played against weak defenses he has way surpassed what a number of studs have done. Not that I think he's all world but you can't discount what he has done.

sh!t... good research...

but i still have to credit denver and the running system of doom. No disrespect to Droughns... but I have to see more to believe it.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk