Monday Night Football Jinx update-64 to 69% winning % for Mx - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Monday Night Football Jinx update-64 to 69% winning % for Mx

Moderator: Football Moderators

Monday Night Football Jinx update-64 to 69% winning % for Mx

Postby moochman » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:18 am

Well finally a team that played on Monday night didnt't have a bye so we can see how they did. As you know I brought up the MNF Jinx, a premise stating that the team who wins on Monday doesn't cover the spread abour 67% of the time the following Sunday, frequently losing outright. On week 1 MNF the Pack beat the Panthers. Week 2 they were home favorites over DaBears. They lost outright. 1-0 jinx.
The next week the Iggles beat the the ViQueens, they followed up by beating and covering against the Lions. 1-1.
Because of bye weeks the next winner on MNF that played the next week were the Titans. They were home favs agaisnt the Texans and lost outright. 2-1 Jinx, or 67%.

Now there were 2 MNF winners that had byes the next week. I don't think the Jinx affect would be enforce because of the extra time to prepare. That said the winners were the Cheifs who won 2 weeks ago beating the Ravens, They were home favs this week and lost to the Jags. The other team was the Cowboys who beat the Skins on MNF, had their bye, and then were favored at home and lost outright to the Giants. So if you were to include those teams then Jinx would have a 4-1 record, or 80%
Tonight the Rams won and next week they play at Miami. That should be a real hard test for the jinx, but remember the jinx isn't that they lose, but that they don't cover.

Phins{ 34 Rams 14. Rams were 61/2 point favs. Monday Night jinx 3-1 or 75% success. (5-1 and 83% if you count the bye week <a target="_blank" href="http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=games">games</a>)
Last edited by moochman on Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:27 am, edited 6 times in total.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:26 pm

Monday the Bungals won and were 3 to 4 point underdogs against the Titans. They lost 27-20 making the Monday winner 1-4 against the spread the following week or a 80% if you bet the jinx. Including the teams who had byes after winning on Monday the tally is 1-6 or a 85% for the jinx. You could have made a bundle betting the jinx so far this season.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:26 pm

Jets won last Monday, crushing the Phins{ 41-14. They followed that up as a favorite against the Bills and lost thus raising the season record for the MNF Jinx to 1-5, a 83% of the time a team wins Monday it doesn't cover the next week. Counting teams with byes after MNF the record is 1-7, or 87.5%.
I am counting on the Colts to buck this trend when they host the Texans Sunday. The no doubt will be favored.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:00 am

moochman wrote:Jets won last Monday, crushing the Phins{ 41-14. They followed that up as a favorite against the Bills and lost thus raising the season record for the MNF Jinx to 1-5, a 83% of the time a team wins Monday it doesn't cover the next week. Counting teams with byes after MNF the record is 1-7, or 87.5%.
I am counting on the Colts to buck this trend when they host the Texans Sunday. The no doubt will be favored.

So you think the Colts will cover then? That would go against the jinx...

I suppose that in order to get the average back down to 2/3, some of these teams are going to have to win. I also assume the Colts will be favored, but Texans are pretty good.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:59 pm

This week the Packers made their fans proud by showing their...um...grit at Philly, thus failing to cover after a MNF win. This brings the season totals to 6 times out of 10 or a a 60%. Counting the teams with byes after their MNF wins the total is 8 covers out of 12 or 67%

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moochman » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:25 am

The Cowpokes won last Monday and not only failed to cover the spread this weekend, but lost outright to the Aints. That make it 7 times out of 11 that the MNF winner hasn't covered the next week or 64% and 9 times out of 13 games that the team that won on MNF failed to cover their next game, or 69%.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Football Talk