Rank these Running Backs -- I'll be picking one in Rd. 1 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rank these Running Backs -- I'll be picking one in Rd. 1

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rank these Running Backs -- I'll be picking one in Rd. 1

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:26 am

IN a keeper league. I have Peyton Manning and Shaun Alexander as my keepers. I draft eighth in the first round, and although I'm nervous about several of the following backs already being gone by the time I draft, I still would like to get an idea of where you all rank them. Thanks!

Edgerrin James
Ahman Green
Fred Taylor
Travis Henry
Tiki Barber
Stephen Davis
Jamal Lewis
Corey Dillon
Charlie Garner
Eddie George
Kevan Barlow
Anthony Thomas

Also, would you consider drafting any of these WRs ahead of the previously mentioned RBs. They will also be available and there's a better chance of them slipping down to me at No. 8:

Joe Horn
David Boston
Torry Holt
Koren Robinson

Thanks for your help!!!!
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slowkidz » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:37 am

AGreen
Henry
James
Tiki
Garner
Lewis
Davis
Dillon
Taylor
George
Barlow
Thomas

to rank the WRs: Horn, Krob, Boston, Holt

I would look at the WRs if everyone is gone up to Taylor. Even Taylor would be a risky pick IMO, but I'd rather have two RBs then get a stud WR.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby springfield atoms » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:05 am

Edgerrin James
Ahman Green
Fred Taylor
Tiki Barber
Travis Henry
Jamal Lewis
Eddie George
Corey Dillon
Stephen Davis
Charlie Garner
Kevan Barlow
Anthony Thomas

i think that james/green/taylor are pretty much of a toss up. all three have injury concerns. i picked james one because he is two years off his injury and hopefully healthy. green seems to be banged up a lot of late.
geaux atoms!
homer jay simpson
springfield football atoms
springfield atoms
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:11 am

Oh yeah. I forgot that William Green will be available probably too. I really don't think much of William Green and his situation in Cleveland, but I guess I should be open-minded and throw him on here in case you all think he should be a possible draftee. Thanks again!
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby Homeless » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:52 am

Travis Henry
Edgerrin James
Ahman Green
Tiki Barber
Fred Taylor
Jamal Lewis
Eddie George
William Green
Corey Dillon
Charlie Garner
Stephen Davis
Kevan Barlow
Anthony Thomas
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:25 pm

Hey. Thanks for all the feedback so far..... Was wondering if some people could provide some explanations with their lists. I know why most of the backs have been ranked the way each of you have, but still some are interesting. I'm also interested in what everyone thinks of Tiki Barber this year. I've heard some very positive things about him.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Re: Rank these Running Backs -- I'll be picking one in Rd. 1

Postby massraider » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:40 pm

First of all, look at Tiki Barber's numbers. They speak for themselves. You could do much worse than Tiki at #2 RB.

1. Edgerrin: Always a question with a knee, but if he's back, you're in the playoffs. I always swing for the fences on my second RB.

2. Tiki: I was so used to thinking of him as a change of pace type back, I did not realize the year he had last year until it was over. Also, very consistent. Points, week in and week out.

3. Henry: I think the two backs above are much better choices than any of these guys. So, I would say this is a dropoff point. Henry had fumbling problems last year, which is not a huge dealbreaker in FF, but the coaches might lose faith, and give it to Olandis. I don't think that is likely, just a possiblilty. Henry had some quiet games and some nice ones. I'm a little down on Buff this year, but Henry is a great #2.

4. A. Green: I'm not sure he'll ever put up really big numbers again. Green Bay likes to spread it around, and everyone gets balls. Biggest problem: They LOVE to throw on the goalline.

5. Lewis: I think Baltimore is going to ride this horse till he falls over dead. I think all their receivers fall into the super-sleeper category, meaning they suck. So they are going to strap the cart to Jamal and run. I think he's a lock for 1200 and 11 TD's.

6. Taylor: Now I love Fred, he won me a championship in 2000. But, with Mack gone, don't assume he's gonna just add 7 goalline TD's to his total. His injuries are the type that re-occur, and his line is terrible. He is the definition of a tease, and there's a lot of other guys I like better.

7. Dillon: He will win you two games outright this year, and give you nothing for 9 weeks. You already have this guy on your team, his name's Alexander.

8. W. Green: All depends where you get him. If you are the last owner to get a #2 RB, and he's available, it was a great pick. He put up great number in the second half of 2002, but I'm a little leery because of the teams he faced. I drafted him late last year, and by the time he got his act together, I was out of it. And Cleveland is such a mess, and they have a division with tough D's...

9. Garner: Depends on your scoring system. He will have more rushing yards this year, and less receptions. If your league does 10 yards=1 point, rushing and receiving, he's solid. They spread it around so much, though, that more than 8 TD's is unlikely.

10. Barlow: The only reason I would rank him above Davis, is I think SF will give him more scoring oppurtunities. I doubt Hearst will play enough to hurt Barlow. I think the splitting of the carries thing is over. Erickson will give the ball to Barlow.

11. Davis: Great #3 back. He will have a ton of carries this year, among the league leaders.

AS for Eddie and Anthony Thomas.....You can keep Thomas. I think he's a bum, and Chicago doesn't even like him. Eddie is getting slower by the day, but, he plays for a good team, and I can't see Fisher just giving the ball to Chris Brown. Eddie will still score, but I don't think he runs for 1,000 yards.

Do not forget about Onterrio Smith. He will replace Michael Bennett this September, and his performance will allow Minnesota to not rush Bennett back. I personally think he's the real deal. He's a punk who's had some trouble, but he was the best pure running back in the past draft, and also the fastest.
massraider
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Rank these Running Backs -- I'll be picking one in Rd. 1

Postby Vixtor » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:06 pm

Fred Taylor
Edgerrin James
Ahman Green
Travis Henry
Jamal Lewis
Tiki Barber
Stephen Davis
Corey Dillon
Charlie Garner
Eddie George
Anthony Thomas
Kevan Barlow

&

Torry Holt
Joe Horn
David Boston
Koren Robinson
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Azrael » Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:48 pm

I like massraiders rankings and analysis with a couple exceptions. Generally I'd agree with the Ahman Green ranking but there have been some recent publishings about GB saying they are going to use Davenport a good amount this year. I would expect any goalline rushing GB does will be given to Davenport since he's the bigger back. Sounds like an RBBC is emerging in GB.

I also think Davis is going to be a workhorse in Carolina. Although their team isn't great, their line is pretty good and should provide him with ample running room. I see him at 1200 yards and 10+ TDs.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:00 pm

Travis Henry. Far and away.
I'd even put Barlow and the A Train ahead of most of these other guys. Each with some serious issues.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk