Is Portis returning to the old?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Portis returning to the old??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Portis returning to the old??

Postby FantasyFootball2005 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:20 pm

I have Portis on my team, 1st round draft pick and up until last weeks game hasnt had the big games he showed in Denver. But then last week he gets 170+ yards. Is he returning to the way he was in Denver and will put up the big games or was it just a fluke?? Im curious what the cafe thinks! ;-D
FantasyFootball2005
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:22 pm

Clinton will always be solid as a fantasy RB. He had a very good game last week but don't expect 176 yrds every game. My best bet would be around 100 yrds and a touchdown pretty much from here on out. Oh course, reduce these stats by 20 or so when they face good run defense teams.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sissylala » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:57 pm

With Brunell playing so poorly, they almost have to run him at least 30 times a game and hope their D can keep it close. He is their offense. I think he's going to do very well unless Washington plays a high powered offense and gets down early.
sissylala
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:05 pm

The issue really boils down to the team Washington is playing... If they are in a game where they have the lead, expect good thing from Portis, but more often than not, they've been playing from behind, and have had to go to the air....

:-o

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:42 pm

I agree with Plindsey, it does depend if Washington is performing well as a team and if the D is playing tough. Because, obviously, if the Skins don't have to play from behind, Gibbs can feed Portis as much as he'd like to. Everyone knows if Gibbs had his way, Portis would have 32-38 carries a game, so it's all dependent on the Washinton D.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:23 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:The issue really boils down to the team Washington is playing... If they are in a game where they have the lead, expect good thing from Portis, but more often than not, they've been playing from behind, and have had to go to the air....

:-o

Well they've been "in" every game, behind or ahead. Portis hasn't gotten less than 20 carries in any game so far. He's on pace for 408 carries right now.

8-o 8-o 8-o
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:43 pm

I've read on two different sites that Gibbs changed up the offense to benefit Portis by running him in more spread sets instead of just pounding with an H-back.

It was also suggested that the 'Skins will continue to do this for his benefit in the future.

Part of his eruption, a Washington offensive coach said gleefully, was that this offense crossed up the Bears by throwing stuff at them they'd never seen on film. That won't be the case in the future (unless they revamp their offense every week 8-o) ... Therefore, I agree with J2thez: don't expect a lot of 170+ games, but 100 per and a score is reasonable.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:19 pm

id say portis is on the up and up, i think he will continue to have big games this year
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:48 pm

I think the games you saw in between week 1 and 6 will be his norm this year with a couple big games.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby 10yardfight » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:07 pm

Disagree Azrael.

With a more spread offence I would look for CP to avg at least 100yrds a game and a TD.

I am trying to trade for him based on that.
10yardfight
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk