Is Portis returning to the old?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Portis returning to the old??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Jscupa » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:09 pm

With a more spread offence I would look for CP to avg at least 100yrds a game and a TD.

someone finally gets it
as a local all they have been talking about
is how gibbs totally changed the offense to suit him(portis) outside the tackles instead of playing inside them

portis will continue to do good
QB: B.leftwhich, C.Palmer, brunell
RB: A.Green, C. Dillion, droughons, M.moore, Q. Griffin, bell
WR: C.Johnson, D.Jackson, A.toomer, B.Llyod
TE: wiggins, B.Franks, L.J. Smith
K: Kristie
Def: Redskins, bills
Jscupa
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:14 pm

10yardfight wrote:Disagree Azrael.

With a more spread offence I would look for CP to avg at least 100yrds a game and a TD.

I am trying to trade for him based on that.

Portis had one good run against the Tampa D and Chicago is one of the worst rush D's in the league. He still has to play Dallas and NY Giants again, Philly twice, Pittsburgh, and even Detroit isn't bad. He could have 2 good games after the bye against GB, and Cinci. But after that, it's a pretty tough road to hoe.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:20 pm

You guys are all missing the point. Don't you realize that I put Portis on as my sig after the beginning of the year and took Portis off my sig last Sunday right before the game? Enough said... ;-D

I hope Portis keeps running well. It will dispell some of the rumors about him being a Denver-only runner. Of course, he'll have to do it against some better defenses against the run for it to really go away.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 10yardfight » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:53 pm

Right it down........Someone

If I am wrong call me out I can take it. (I am also a Panther Fan)

I say he will avg 100yrds, 1TD the rest of the way.
10yardfight
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bagobonez » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:52 pm

Considering Portis has scored 3 TD's over 6 games, why would he suddenly start scoring a TD EVERY game?

100 yards a game i can see, especially if Gibbs is going to keep giving him 30 carries a game, but unless the Redskins' offense suddenly transforms itself from a bad one to a good one, Portis will not score once a game.

And if he's on pace for 408 carries, I don't see him making it through the season healthy either. He had a scare last week with that stinger or whatever it was. If Gibbs keeps giving him 30-40 carries a week, he'll either get injured or wear down at the end of the year.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DanDigital » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:51 am

Washington has a whole different playbook than Denver did. Their run plays develop more slowly, Portis is used to bursting through the hole immediately and Washington runs more plays designed to let the holes develop slow. But this week I think we saw Portis finally getting accustomed to the offensive scheme, and from here on out he should have a pretty productive season.
DanDigital
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LBJackal » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:26 am

I see RB's for the most part being a product of the system they're in. Denver always has good RB's; whoever is there does well. Davis, Anderson, Gary, Portis. I'm beginning to think Portis isn't as good as eveyrbody thought he was, he was a product of the system. This is probably true for a lot of positions and a lot of players. Situations change, and as they do, the players we thought were so good turn out to be not-so-good. Santana Moss is in a favourable situation, and has a great year. Every other year he's sucked. Kurt Warner has 2 awesome years, and some garbage years. Same with Faulk. Same with Priest. Same with lots of players. People ahve to understand lots of TD's and great stats doesn't neccesarily mean a player is that good.

Put Clinton Portis on the 49ers, he'd suck. Put him on the Broncos, he's awesome. Put Peerless Price on the Bills opposite Moulds, he's awesome. Put him on the Falcons, he sucks. There are very few players that make themselves good regardless of the situation. Some I can think of are Moss, Manning, LT2, etc, those are just for example. Most other top players are good because of the team around them. Good O-Line helps RB's, good defense helps RB's, bad defense helps WR's/QB's. I know most hardcore football fans (of which I'm not) know that already, but just thought I'd add it in.

That being said, I think people who own Portis are in for a huge disappointment.
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:06 am

Wow, Jackal ... nice analysis, coming from a baseball guy :-D.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:38 am

lbjackal wrote:Put Clinton Portis on the 49ers, he'd suck. Put him on the Broncos, he's awesome.

This just isn't true. Portis no doubt benefited from Denver's system and OLine but he is truly an awesome talent. Jordan probably wouldn't have won all those rings without Pippen but he would have been a great player wherever he went. Certain average players, such as Price, definitely took advantage of good situations. I bet if you put a true #1 WR on Atlanta and Vick learned to throw the ball, Price would once again be a fantastic #2.

Portis has done a heck of a job adapting to a new system and he's shaking that injury-prone tag everyone wanted to label him with after last year.

After 6 games this year: 593 Yards / 2 TDs / 4 games w/o TD
After 6 games last year: 596 / 4 TDs / 3 games w/o a TD

He's only going to get better. ;-D
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:49 am

I agree with Amazinz. I don't think you can oversimplify and say players are only as good as their system. A team's system no doubt plays a role, but so does talent. The Hogs are absolutely terrible this year, with no semblance of a passing game. Yet Portis is still putting up decent if not spectacular numbers.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk