Gonzalez.......GONZO - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Gonzalez.......GONZO

Moderator: Football Moderators

Gonzalez.......GONZO

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:31 pm

With the current state of the Chiefs(1-4) and Gonzos' sore foot, requiring off-season surgery. Do you guys think he is going to play all season or until Kansas City is out of contention?

Gonzo has played well the last two weeks 70+ yards and a TD in each game.

Fantasy Impact: Would it be advisable to keep him or trade him for something before his possible early season departure?

I personally don't expect him to play the season out with an injury needing surgery, especially with his team out of contention.

What do you guys see in his future this season?
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:35 pm

I dont think the chiefs consider themselves out of contention, and they wont until they are mathematically eliminated. however, with news of this foot injury, I may try and deal him.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:39 pm

portisfan24 wrote:with news of this foot injury

Not really news,I believe it was common knowledge that he had a foot problem going into the season.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:45 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:with news of this foot injury

Not really news,I believe it was common knowledge that he had a foot problem going into the season.

Guttpuppy, no opinion?

Last season the Chiefs were Undefeated going into week 9, completely different situation this season. He may feel it is pointless to play the season out after they are mathmatically disqualified from the playoffs.

Unless he has some contract clause requiring him to play a certain number of games or incentives that kick in based on production or numebr of games played. Only possiblly reasoning i see him staying IF the Chiefs are out of the playoffs.

I understand that the chiefs are not mathmatically out yet. But im trying to forecast circumstance here.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:33 am

Even if KC is out of contention, Gonzo is going to play. He's had that injury for a long time now. He should have had the thing taken care of last year. I don't think he's going to stop just because he's going to get surgery in the offseason. He's going to play and give him team a chance to win even if they are out of it. If it gets hurt worse, he's just get it done sooner. :-)

Gonzalez is starting to pick up the production again, so I'd probably ride it out. At this point, there aren't a whole lot of useful TE's out there you could use to supplant him. So, unless your trade for him involved a TE, it wouldn't help you to get rid of him...you'd only be lessening your chances to score.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aussieboy » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:06 am

Even if the Cheifs are mathimatically unable to make the playoffs I still don't think they would bench Gonzales.

They still have fans to please, seats to fill, and sponsors to cater for.

Why would a team bench a player just because they cant make the playoffs? With that sort of logic Tomlinson shouldnt have played a single down in his NFL career.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Flux » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:23 am

Gonzo will continuing playing unless he somehow really aggrevates the foot. I think they would pull the plug on him if the surgery took an extended period of time to rehab and he could miss time in training camp next year, but thats not the case.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby akakak » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:10 am

The Chiefs play the Broncos on Dec. 19th and the Raiders on Dec 26th., both in KC. I think he plays the season out for the fans and to beat those two rivals.
akakak
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:27 am

Mathematically, it will take a while for the Chiefs to be out of contention, but you're right that they very well might be by the time the Fantasy Playoffs arrive... And you might be on the right track to think Gonzo will go ahead and have his surgery when that happens... I might try to move him, but I'd be sure to get Graham or Gates out of the deal...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:42 am

I've been considering this very question for the last week or so, and am strongly tempted to try to move him for a top WR (a position I am filling with smoke and mirrors at the moment).

I had the great good fortune to draft both Gonzo and Gates in a league where we require a TE start (but have no flex) ... and now I'm stuck benching one of these guys every week while several teams in the league have no decent option.

No way KC benches him, and I think he'll keep soldiering as long as there's a chance. But if the season continues to unravel, I could see a scenario in which he bails early to deal with the surgery and get a jump-start on the rehab for next year (a la his namesake, Luis Gonzalez of the D-backs).
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk